Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting drivers off of a computer before I format it.

• Please log in to reply

KelJu

KelJu

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Is there a way for me to get the drivers off of my bosses computer before I reformat it. My boss loss his install CD and driver CDs so I spent an hour on dell.com trying to get the drivers, but dell list about a 100 drivers for his model. Is computer barely runs and locks up doing the slightest of task. I can't even open his email without a blue screen of death.

I am not a computer genius, but I have a fair amount of skills. Could someone give me any tips for extracting the drivers off of his computer, so that I can do a clean install.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
First of what is the make and model of the computer.

I can give the most likely canadates and for the ones to where there is not a likely canadate we can tell you how to figure out what one is the one on the system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi KelJu...

Try DriverMax. It will locate, back up, and restore the device drives currently in use on your machine.

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Also look in Device Manager and make a listing of all the devices, open the entries to see the hardware description. And the computer has a service tag number that goes to a listing of everything originally in the machine. Use the service tag# to find the drivers.