Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem copying files to my External HD

• Please log in to reply

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I just bought and formatted (to NTFS) a 465 GB external HD and today I tried to copy files to it from my main HD. The problem is that it only copies some of the files and then reads other ones as errors. Another problem is that it won't let me safely remove the hardware---it also reads that as an error. I'm lucky that I was only copying the files cuz if I had tried to move them I would have lost the files.

What's wrong with my new HD???

Advertisements

zirvo

zirvo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
when you bought it brand new you right away formatted the HD? and did not transfer the files without formatting it?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
First is zirvo's question,

Second is it NTFS?

Third, what do you mean by errors, what kind of errors in detail?

Are you using USB 2.0?

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

First is zirvo's question,

Second is it NTFS?

Third, what do you mean by errors, what kind of errors in detail?

Are you using USB 2.0?

I formatted the HD right out of the box and only began copying files after doing so. It came in FAT32 and I formatted it to NTFS. About the errors....there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It will copy dozens upon dozens of files and then all of a sudden it reads "cannot copy file or read from disk" on a file that isn't corrupted. The copying process then comes to a sudden halt. When I try to safely remove the hardware, it gives me an error like "generic volume cannot be removed safely. Try again later."

zirvo

zirvo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Reformat it back to FAT32 to its original format and try transferring your file then let me know what happen.

cuz you don't need to format an external HD to NTFS unless u install an operating system in it.

Edited by zirvo, 23 April 2007 - 05:46 AM.