Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading to 775

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
first q is i have the thermaltake si-120 heatsink, i have both mounts, will it mount to 775? 2nd im planning on getting this board that comes with a Pentium D 805 2.66ghz. i heard this cpu is better than the 915 once overclocked. i know the cpu can OC up to around 4.1-4.2 depending on your ram. should i go ahead and get the 805 or 915?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Please don't get a Penitum D, if you plan on overclocking a series amount get the Core2duo E4400, you'll be much more satisfied with the performance. Pentium D's run hot as it is, you pretty well need water cooling once you begin overclocking. If you don't water cool I've heard these processors lasting 3 months, heat being the main factor for the major decrease in lifespan, voltages being the next.

If this is your exact heatsink, It'll support decent AMD processors but if you are overclocking I still strongly recommend the E4400, you can still go with socket 939 processors from AMD. It only supports Intel Socket 478 , AMD Socket 754 / 939 / 940
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 April 2007 - 06:15 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Please don't get a Penitum D, if you plan on overclocking a series amount get the Core2duo E4400, you'll be much more satisfied with the performance. Pentium D's run hot as it is, you pretty well need water cooling once you begin overclocking. If you don't water cool I've heard these processors lasting 3 months, heat being the main factor for the major decrease in lifespan, voltages being the next.

If this is your exact heatsink, It'll support decent AMD processors but if you are overclocking I still strongly recommend the E4400, you can still go with socket 939 processors from AMD. It only supports Intel Socket 478 , AMD Socket 754 / 939 / 940
James

yes but to my knowledge the 939 are VERY power consuming. i have a friend that is a programmer with the PD and is plenty happy with it. he also has a core 2 duo.

also if i get this set for 150$ it comes with a core 2 duo but it is a 1.8ghz e4300. as i have never used a core 2 duo

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
First of all what set?
Next, let me explain something that is very often overlooked by many. A Pentium 2.8GHz processor doesn't equal the equivalent clocked Core2duo, infact it's no even a close call. The Pentium's are an old microarchitectures that was updated in July of 2006 by Intel with it's successor the Core2Duo. With new microarchitechtures comes more performance per watt, better efficiency and more power. The core2duo by far out performs the Pentiums series clock for clock and here are benchmarks to prove it. By the way Pentium D's are "dual core" not dual core, they have two single core processors glued together, it was a quick fix me upper to release a product......just to say they have it available to the market. It was rushed and in the end a bad overall product.

To prove my point use this benchmarking tool.
The E6600 from intel is clocked at 2.4GHz, as well as the X2 4600+ and then throw in a 3.2GHz Pentium D 940
Even though the Pentium D has a clocked speed of 3.2GHz it loose every battle to the 4600+ and gets slaped in the face every time by the E6600. Try every benchmark avaible there and show me one where the 3.2GHz processor will beat the other two, if you want to save yourself the time, there arn't any. :whistling: Actually the E6600 doesn't lose one battle.
Here is the benchmark link
http://www23.tomshar...d...2&chart=169

The 939 arn't very power consuming....actually much less so then the Pentium D's, not to mention don't get as hot transferring to longer lifespan. Also the current AMD processors we see today are pretty close to their maximum spec and will not overclock very well, that's including the Pentium D's as well, they were an expired product before it was even launched. You can do what you want, but I warn you, you overclock that Pentium D to 4.1GHz, it'll be dead within 6 months at the latest.
Wattages for the socket 939's and AM2
http://www.activewin... x2/index.shtml

If you want to overclock I strongly urge you to wait till after the 22nd (they are dropping their prices) and then buy, you'll be glade you did, the E4300 will be 140$USD. But warning you may have to update your entire PC if you do go this route as you probably have DDR and don't have a motherboard that supports this chipset.

The E4300 has a higher multiplier thats why it's a highly recommend processor if your overclocking, it's 9x while all the others are 7x.

James

Edit: Do you know how to overclock?

Edited by james_8970, 20 April 2007 - 11:07 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

First of all what set?
Next, let me explain something that is very often overlooked by many. A Pentium 2.8GHz processor doesn't equal the equivalent clocked Core2duo, infact it's no even a close call. The Pentium's are an old microarchitectures that was updated in July of 2006 by Intel with it's successor the Core2Duo. With new microarchitechtures comes more performance per watt, better efficiency and more power. The core2duo by far out performs the Pentiums series clock for clock and here are benchmarks to prove it. By the way Pentium D's are "dual core" not dual core, they have two single core processors glued together, it was a quick fix me upper to release a product......just to say they have it available to the market. It was rushed and in the end a bad overall product.

To prove my point use this benchmarking tool.
The E6600 from intel is clocked at 2.4GHz, as well as the X2 4600+ and then throw in a 3.2GHz Pentium D 940
Even though the Pentium D has a clocked speed of 3.2GHz it loose every battle to the 4600+ and gets slaped in the face every time by the E6600. Try every benchmark avaible there and show me one where the 3.2GHz processor will beat the other two, if you want to save yourself the time, there arn't any. :whistling: Actually the E6600 doesn't lose one battle.
Here is the benchmark link
http://www23.tomshar...d...2&chart=169

The 939 arn't very power consuming....actually much less so then the Pentium D's, not to mention don't get as hot transferring to longer lifespan. Also the current AMD processors we see today are pretty close to their maximum spec and will not overclock very well, that's including the Pentium D's as well, they were an expired product before it was even launched. You can do what you want, but I warn you, you overclock that Pentium D to 4.1GHz, it'll be dead within 6 months at the latest.
Wattages for the socket 939's and AM2
http://www.activewin... x2/index.shtml

If you want to overclock I strongly urge you to wait till after the 22nd (they are dropping their prices) and then buy, you'll be glade you did, the E4300 will be 140$USD. But warning you may have to update your entire PC if you do go this route as you probably have DDR and don't have a motherboard that supports this chipset.

The E4300 has a higher multiplier thats why it's a highly recommend processor if your overclocking, it's 9x while all the others are 7x.

James

Edit: Do you know how to overclock?

yes i know how to OC, im running a 2.4ghz p4 at 2.7ghz (max out memory), also i do not plan on runnning amd, im a intel person. as for the e4300 it is already 135 new http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115013 also i can pick up a combo brand new mobo and PD for 104$ depending on which model, or the e4300 and same board new for 149$ im trying to sell my current board and cpu as to hopefully get somewhere near the 100$. as for the pd 805, my friend has his OC'ed at 3.6 and has had no fuss, had over a year still running great. as for the e4300 about what can you overclock those? also the unanswered question will my si-120 fit a 775? i dont see how the mounts could be that different

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I answered that in my previous post it'll only Intel Socket 478 , AMD Socket 754 / 939 / 940, in other words no it will not. By the way you current memory is more then likely DDR you'll need DDR2 for the Core2Duo. Be sure to get at least 800MHz DDR ram if your overclocking. People have gotten these really high, many reaching the 4.0GHz+ range. Remember though, if you don't get a good motherboard you may be limited to something in the 2.6GHz range.
Also, 135$ seems low as it is, but I still wouldn't buy till Friday when prices settle down from the major price adjustment right now, although I can't see it going any lower then 130$, but you just never know.
To add one more thing, you said 4.1GHz you were hoping on reaching, there is a .5GHz gap between what you friend has and what you were going to try to achieve, which is quite significant. Once you hit that area you'll be forced to up the voltages for stability. Everytime time you up the voltages is affects the lifetime of your product.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 11:21 AM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

I answered that in my previous post it'll only Intel Socket 478 , AMD Socket 754 / 939 / 940, in other words no it will not. By the way you current memory is more then likely DDR you'll need DDR2 for the Core2Duo. Be sure to get at least 800MHz DDR ram if your overclocking. People have gotten these really high, many reaching the 4.0GHz+ range. Remember though, if you don't get a good motherboard you may be limited to something in the 2.6GHz range.
Also, 135$ seems low as it is, but I still wouldn't buy till Friday when prices settle down from the major price adjustment right now, although I can't see it going any lower then 130$, but you just never know.
To add one more thing, you said 4.1GHz you were hoping on reaching, there is a .5GHz gap between what you friend has and what you were going to try to achieve, which is quite significant. Once you hit that area you'll be forced to up the voltages for stability. Everytime time you up the voltages is affects the lifetime of your product.
James

im not trying to reach 4.1gig i was just stating, i would take it aroun 3ghz-3.6ghz.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah your right, now that I reread that I can see that you were only stating it as a fact not that you wanted to do it.
Anything else you want to know?
James

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
other than i just fixed my vid card issue as stated in the hardware section. this combo i spoke of, here it is
http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...p;rd=1&rd=1
the pentium D has a slightly better board
http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...p;rd=1&rd=1
i know the boards arnt good because they are ecs, i also know ecs dont ocerclock much, but do you think the core 2 is a good deal? i messaged him asking if i could get the core 2 and trhe board that comes with the pentium d, he has several

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The E4300 will be 130$ after monday, go to any e-tailer then.
Why would you buy a CPU/motherboard combo if you have no plans on using the CPU?
Just get one good overclocking board instead of the combo and then get the E4300. Remember you need to buy ram on top of this, since you have DDR and not DDR2. I can tell because of the sockets your heatsink supports.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 08:00 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
my local shop will let me trade in my ddr for ddr2

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Really?! Wow, thats a good deal, make sure they give you get PC6400 or more. Give them the difference if they don't. Otherwise you'll have difficulties and greater limitations overclocking due to the RAM.
James