Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webroot Spysweeper with or without antivirus?

• Please log in to reply

mediamaverick1

mediamaverick1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I bought Webroot Spysweeper and am curious if I should get the antivirus product also, and/or firewall. I already have Norton Security Suite (everything) installed but perhaps I can do everything with one (perhaps better) suite. Spysweeper has received great ratings and reviews although I don't see it mentioned much. As far as I know they're known for their spyware product -- but I want the functions of Norton (it never seems to catch anything). I have a physical router/firewall so I may not need the BEST firewall software. So my question is should I just keep Norton installed and add Spysweeper, keep Norton and add Spysweeper with antivirus, or just use Webroot's system (spysweeper, virus, and firewall) by itself? I know there are lots of other (free) programs out there but those are free (for example, Spysweeper doesn't actually REMOVE spyware unless you get the paid version as far as I know) -- it's the old adage you get what you pay for. I've heard good things about Zonealarm also so perhaps that's all I need? Not really looking for a bunch of suggestions for other programs unless there's a really compelling reason/evidence why they're better -- this is more about my questions above. Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First and foremost, since you already have Norton Antivirus installed (part of the Norton Suite) you should not install another AV product alongside it. If you want to install a different AV, Norton AV will have to be removed first. Running two AV products can cause instability, indeed most AV products won't install if they detect you already have one.

I should point out also that, apart from Norton AV receiving very low scores in recent virus-detection tests, it is also infamous for using high levels of system resources, and this also applies to Norton Firewall. I've used them both (provided free by my ISP) yet despite being free I've had to remove them and buy my own alternatives. Norton is just too much of a memory glutton.

So perhaps your decision as to whether to get rid of Norton has now been made easier? Well, I can unhesitatingly recommend AVG Security Suite which uses only half the RAM that Norton uses yet consistently beats it on virus-detection. It also comprises a Firewall and anti-spyware component.

You can get AVG Security Suite here: http://www.grisoft.com

Edited by pip22, 21 April 2007 - 10:21 AM.

mediamaverick1

mediamaverick1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi pip22 -- Thanks for your reply. Any thoughts on ZoneAlarm antivirus and/or firewall? I've heard good things about AVG but also ZA. I imagine one of these other products could work for both antivirus and firewall functions (after removing Norton of course).

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
This is a very interesting thread. I currently have Webroot Spysweeper (paid version) for my spyware. I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and ZoneAlarm Firewall Free Edition.

I was actually considering getting rid of Spysweeper and Zonealarm and signing up with the AVG Internet Security version (which would be paid Anti-Virus, paid Firewall, and paid Anti-Spyware). But I don't know how good AVG's Firewall and Spyware programs are. Their Anti-Virus is well documented as being very good, as Pip22 has said. I have no doubts in my mind about that. But, Pip22, can you shead some light as to how good AVG's Firewall and Anti-Spyware are? Would they be just as good or better than ZoneAlarm Firewall (Free) and Webroot Spysweeper (paid), respectively?

EDIT: One other thing...Mediamaverick, I've heard nothing but bad things about Zonealarms all-in-one security suite. Though they have a top of the line firewall, I heard their anti-spyware and anti-virus isn't that great. I have nothing to base this opinion on...it's just what I heard.

Thanks for any advice,
mike.

Edited by diggeryo, 23 April 2007 - 02:03 PM.