Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Whenever I play WoW for about 20-30 my computer shuts down, I tried reinstalling it didnt help. Computer also randomly shuts down every now and then. Heres a HJT just in case:

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   6.73KB   110 downloads

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mr_maxime...

I don't see anything in the log that says malware, but I'm certainly no expert.

This actually sounds more like an issue with heat to me. Download, install, and run SpeedFan. Under the "Readings" tab, what are the temperatures you see?

wannabe1

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Sorry wannabe1 I didn't Realize you had posted

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 21 April 2007 - 11:22 AM.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Temp1: 31C
Temp2:-53C
Temp3:38C
HD0:48C
HD1:57C
Core: 47C

This is also the first time WoW has ever given me any problems like this.

Edited by mr_maxime, 21 April 2007 - 11:34 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No problem, cheyenne 09...I probably just snuck it in on you... :whistling:

mr_maxime: Some of those temps are a bit high...though not critically so. Is this a laptop or desktop machine? Do all the fans seem to be running ok?

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Its a desktop. I also have this <a href="http://www.newegg.co...44151">case</a>, if that helps any. It has a fan adjustor on it, and it is always set to the max, so the computer is usually pretty loud. I havent noticed a difference if the fan speed is reduced with the adjustor other than on the fan gauge on the case.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How are you for opening the machine?

With the core temperature as high as it is, it could very well be shutting the machine down as a means of protecting itself. I would take a look at the CPU cooler next and see if the cooling fins are restricted with dust and lint. Using compressed air, available at most office supply stores, clean all the dust our of the case and power supply. Give special attention to the CPU cooler and the Video card. Be sure to prevent the fans from spinning when you use the air around them...I use the eraser end of a pencil, but any non-conductive tool will work. Over spinning a fan can damage the bearings.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am turning the computer on with the power button. There is no other way, at least i dont think. Is there a chance that the power supply may be overpowering it?

Ill try cleaning off my fans and maybe get some new ones if that would help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When I asked how you were for opening the machine, I was asking if you are comfortable working inside the case. :whistling:

Too large a power supply is ok...too small a supply could cause problems such as you have. I'd look at a good cleaning first and see if the temps come down a little.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Oh, I'm fine with opening it, I built it myself. Right now I'm about to head to the store and get more fans. As for the power supply, it's a 600W. So I think think its underpowered.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Unless you plan on doing a little welding with that rig, 600W should be plenty. :whistling:

Be sure to look the video card over good...if there is a fan on it, make sure it spins up good and stays running.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Haha, i just bought a 120mm fan while the computer was off and here are the new results:
Temp1: 25C
Temp2: -53C
Temp3: 34-36C
HD0: 28C
Core: 44C

Video card is fine its got a really big Zalman fan on it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now we wait and see if it shuts down. Shaving just a few degrees off may be all it needs.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Um... temp3 and core temp still skyrocket playing WoW, as high as 78C. This is weird since its the first time Ive has problems with it. When I reinstalled WoW, it said that processor speed wasnt high enough and needed at least 800Mhz, but I got 2.2Ghz Dual-core.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How's the thermal paste between the processor and cooler? Is it in good shape and of high quality? I recommend Arctic Silver or Arctic Aluminum and I use the Silver on my builds. Is your CPU cooler up to the task?