Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
The CPU cooler is the same that was on it when I bought about 4 or 5 months ago.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
78*C is plenty enough heat to shut down a machine. We need to bring that temperature down when under load. Try re-pasting the CPU. Follow the directions...don't use too much OR too little...AND don't apply it with your bare fingers. The oils from your fingertips can interfere with the thermal properties of the paste. If that doesn't do the trick, then get a better cooler. Some of the heat pipe technology these days is pretty effective in hard to cool situations.

I'd say heat is definitely the problem here, though.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'll try with the paste. I still dont know why my computer is shutting down now, since I've been playing WoW for a while. Well if repasting doesnt work, what do you think about this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835128015. (lol, why doesnt html work?)

Edited by mr_maxime, 21 April 2007 - 07:42 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Liquid cooling is certainly effective. I've seen quite a few instances where there's been a leak inside the case, though...and the results are not pretty. With a careful installation there is usually no problems.

I was thinking more along the lines of THIS.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

(lol, why doesnt html work?)

It's BB code...use the formatting tools on the top of the reply window. :whistling:

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have Am2 socket. how about one of out these http://www.xoxide.co...dsocketam2.html

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good

Better

Best

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm probably going to get the "Better" one. Thanks. On a side note, what do you think would cause my core to become so hot now?