Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clicking noise from floppy drive

• Please log in to reply

theman123

theman123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I am new here. I am currently using a friend's computer. My own has a serious issue: whenever I start it up, it makes a loud clicking sound, from what I think is the floppy drive. It proceeds to do this until the Windows XP logo is supposed to show, and then shows me a screen with the sentence "Press A Key To Reboot". So I have to press a key, and then it repeats the process all over again. I am unable to use my own computer now, so help as soon as possible would be appreciated.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi theman123
The clicking sound means that you're hard drive is dead/dying.
The floppy drive only makes noise if there is a floppy inside. If there is one then take it out.

theman123

theman123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
nope I just unplugged the floppy drive from the motherboard and now the computer works perfectly.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
There is something stuck in floppy cause the computer is trying to boot from the floppy.
enter the bios and change the boot order so that the hard drive is before the floppy.
Once you boot try to open the floppy. If it is stuck then try and c if there is anything in side the floppy drive. [U can use a small screw driver and tweezers don't forget to turn of the computer first.]