Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Dell INspiron 9300

• Please log in to reply

Warden

Warden

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
HI, my laptop runs windows xp home edition sp 2. It has become slower and slower each passing week. There are currently 58 processes running. I am not sure what I can do to improve performance. The machine takes 5-10 mins. just to start up. Once started, when clicking on a link it can take u to a mkinyte for ie7 or word to open. Just all around unresponsive. I have run adaware and webroot, however, no major improvement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please do the following: Use links in my signature.

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup"
tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon ebooting you will see a message that should be checked.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times until
nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and Adaware SE. Run your Antivirus. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run them one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk
defragmenter.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags syatem and page files which are not
defragged by other defraggers. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical mwmory". Olease report Total and Available.

7: Enter My Computer, right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks very much. Seems to be performing better now.
1. Complete.
2. Ran ccleaner
3. Ran adaware
4. defragged successfully.
5. physical memory Total-261528 available-27068 sys. cache-71748
6. Total space 32.7 gb free space 19.9 gb used 12.7 gb

Thanks again for your help. Seems to be performing much better than yesterday already. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Have a great day.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can add memory. Yours is small and is running full (only 27 MB free). Your computer will perform much better if you increase capacity to 512MB at least.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks so much skeptic. it is my girlfroends machine and she is much happier now. I will look into adding some memory to further alleviate the issue. Thanks again for the great advice and have a nice day.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My pleasure.