Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battery Replacement

• Please log in to reply

sutes

sutes

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I replaced the motherboard (?) battery on my desktop computer. When I went to start the computer, it sounded like it was going to boot up, but quickly stopped. Then three beeps followed. I put the original battery back in, and got the same thing. It is a Gateway, bought new in 1998 running windows 98. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you know who makes your BIOS

(it would, maybe still does, flash at the top of your screen)

Choices
AMI
Phoneix
Award

3 short beeps usually means a memory failure on the first 64k of ram...which is bad.

Any chance you put the battary in backwards?

sutes

sutes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There is always a chance I put the battery in incorrectly, but I do not think so. This computer is at home, and that morning I had an IT guy at my office show me how to replace a battery on a computer at the office. Unfortunately, there is nothing on the screen but the message that you get when you turn on the monitor without the computer being on, which I think is to test the monitor. There is no evidence on the monitor that the computer is actually doing anything.

I do nto know who make my BIOS, and in light of the above about the monitor I do not know how to determine that either.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i asked about the battery because I suppose,in some cases, putting in the battary backwards could have damaged the memory.

The three beeps is almost certainly memory related...looked around, and three beeps applies only to ami...IF THEY ARE THREE SHORT BEEPS

So, determineif that is the case.

If it is...remove the plug from the computer to wall, remove the battary again (ground yourself).. Wait 10 minutes.

Ground self. Insert battery. power on.

The other possibility is that a long and two shorts, which is a videocard failure...(which rings true with what you stated.

sutes

sutes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No success. However, the beeps are two then a pause then a third. However I cannot discern a difference in their length.
The monitor still says "self test Your monitor is working..."
Any further suggestions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
remove, reset you video card

sutes

sutes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I assume by remove and reset you mean take the video card out of the slots and put it back in. Tried it,with no luck.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, the only two beep codes I can come up with that MIGHT be your issue are those.

How much memory do you have?

If you have more than one stick, remove one try booting, then remove the other and insert the first. Identify the first ram slot (maybe a numb er on the moard by the slot).

There must be memory in bank1 (or bank0 if it is labeled so).

Ground yourself to discharge static electricity)

sutes

sutes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Still no luck. I appreciate your help, but at this point, I am way over my head. I tried your sugestion, but but no dice. I still have a monitor that does notseem to be receiving any signal from the computer. Ultimately, given the age of the computer,I am not against simply replacing it, but since I purchased a digital camera at the end of last year, I amvery interested in retriving those images. I will seek hands on assistance here. Thanks again for your patience and advice. If I get a diagnosis, I willlet you know.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that parts easy...

when you get a new system, put the old harddrive in as a slave.

voila!

sutes

sutes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks. When that time comes, I may be back.