Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WGA. Tray.exe Trying to Access Internet

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Everyone
My Norton 2006 Anti Virus and Firewall Subscription is Now up and have Removed it from my System and have Replaced with a New Firewall and it is Asking to Allow or Deny this Access
C:\Windows\system 32 \wgatray.exe has tried to svchost.exe through OLE Applications which can be used to Hijack other Applications wga tray.exe might be using svchost.exe to connect to the Internet.
What is the General Rule for Programs and Applications that should be Allowed Access to the Internet Safely and i have AOL that also seams to be using Double Applications that seam Identical. Any Advice would be Appreciated. Thank You

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 22 April 2007 - 08:34 AM.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
That's Windows Genuine Advantage trying to access the Internet to determine if your XP install is legit.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Whiskeyman
Thank You for Answering my post I know what wga is thats Not my Problem i want to know why this is trying to Access the Internet on 3 or 4 Different IP. Addresses and Different Ports. I Don't want to have any Security Problem's as my Firewall has an Issue with this and my Windows XP is very Legit as if i hadn't have come Here a Short Time ago My Computer would have been Sitting in the Corner Completely Useless to me if it Hadn't been for Wannabe1 Fixing it i would have binned it He is the Greatest and i Appreciate Everything that he was Done to Help me have a Working Machine again. Anyway back to this Problem Thank You

Edited by cheyenne 09, 23 April 2007 - 04:49 AM.

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Did you update the OS recently?? WGA tries to access the net so that it can confirm if your copy of XP is legal or not. This MUST be allowed on the Internet otherwise you will not get access to the latest updates/software for the OS.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi DaveC2003
Thanks for replying No i didn't Update my OS. Recently WGA has Full Access to the Internet and has been Verified by Microsoft as Legal and i have no Problems with the Windows Updates or Windows in General. My Problem i want to know why this is trying to Access the Internet on 3 or 4 Different IP. Addresses and Different Ports and Why Through Windows System 32.I hope this Answers your Questions. Thank You

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Microsoft has many IPs. WGA Tray.exe is located in Windows\system32 so naturally it will access from there.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Whiskeyman
Thanks for replying I know Microsoft have many IP address i want to know if this uses 3 or 4 Different Addresses Every time it Accesses the Internet is this Common or not or Safe as the Firewall says it is Not Safe. It seams to have Multiple svchost.exe Applications Running. Thank You

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Anything that wgatray.exe does is completely legit and harmless. As it has been said, you need this to run to be able to get updates from Microsoft's website. The firewall thinks it is not safe, because the Windows Firewall was created long before Microsoft started using WGA authentication software, and therefore it doesn't know that it is a normal and safe program. Yes, Microsoft should fix this, but it is not high on their list of priorities when it comes to fixing all the other security risk issues that arise all the time as hacker's find new ways to compromise the operating system.

Fenor

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Fenor
Thank You for your reply thats great i just wanted to know why it was using so many IP Addresses at the same time to Access the Internet. Thank very Much

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I didn't answer your many IP question in my previous post, so here goes. The reason that it uses so many different IP addresses is that Microsoft uses many different servers to control WGA, and if when WGAtray.exe tries to access one and it's busy, it jumps to the next one in the list, and so on and so forth, until it finds one where it gets a reply. Hope that answers your actual question. :whistling:

Fenor

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Fenor
Thank You for your reply yes thats Great i just wanted that Clarified as after wannabe1 fixing my System i want to Keep it as Safe as Possible thats Great. Thank Very Much for your Help

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
My Pleasure. :whistling:

Fenor