Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer, programs refuse to open, CPU is all over the place...ma

• Please log in to reply

POC Computer

POC Computer

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Okay, so my computer is really acting up on me lately. Mozilla Firefox takes FOREVER to open and frequently locks up on me...this is also true of almost every other program that I try to use.

None of Adware, spyware detection programs can find anything wrong...maybe I need new ones? :blink:

When I open my task manager...either something called svchost or my System Idle Processes is occupying near 90-100% of my CPU at any given time!! :whistling:

Finals week starts monday for me...and so obviously, I need my computer to actually work!

PLEASE...I have no idea what to do to fix this...I need some advice!!

Thanks in advance...your site has always been wonderful in the past!!

Sincerely,

POC Computer

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter task manager > performance. Let the computer idle for a minute and report cpu usage. Disregard the first few spikes. make sure you do not have scans of antimalware or some updates running in the background.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Okay so i checked out the performance on the task manager...and after the initial spike it kinda just jumped back and forth between 2, 5, and 13% in different combinations. It wasn't really spiking like it was before...but my programs are still slow to open and my computer still locks up sometimes (specifically if I leave it alone for a while...it hibernates, but it won't return to my login page..the screen just stays black.)

On a side note: something else that was going on before this problem...was that m mouse would disappear. I could still use it if I manuevered it over the right spot, but I couldn't see it..then it would spontaneously return. This still happens sometimes...do u think that its related?

I'm sorry because I know that this is probably a lot of random information and I'm not much help because...I don't really know what I'm doing :whistling:

Thanks again for your help

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please do the following: Use links in my signature.

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and
uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you latter change your mind you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting you will see a message that should be checked.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times until
nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use Spybot Search and Destroy,
AVG Anti-Spyware and Adaware SE. Run your Antivirus. Run full system scans (all files),
preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk
defragmenter.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags syatem and page files which are not
defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk.