Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can i tell if someone is using my wireless network?

• Please log in to reply

matt pearce

matt pearce

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have a netgear dg834pn wireless router, i have just WEP enabled it to bump up my security...but want i really want to know is that can i tell if anyone else is actually hijacking my wireless connection in the area/neighbourhood.

when i do a search for the nearest network it brings up my network and one other i don't recognise...so i take it from this there is someone near to me who also has a wireless network? right?

could it be possible that they are using my router?

Thanks

Matt

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most routers have a DHCP list in their setup menus that tells you who's connected to the router at that time. If there are any you don't recognise, just set security up, save it, unplug the router for about a minute and plug it in again.

As to wireless networks, all computers with wireless connectivity will flag up every network they can see. Due to current atmospheric conditions I can see two - mine and somebody else's network. On one occasion I've been able to see up to seven different networks.

What usually happens is most routers are configured without any wireless security out of the box, this then allows any Tom, Dick or Harry to get on them if they're in range.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I have a linksys and I leave it as an open to whoever wants to use it. I even went so far as to place a signal booster so that others in my area can use mine when I am at home. I have had several people e-mail me and tell me thanks ( the name of my network is my e-mail addy :blink:!!

I think as long as you use a firewall on your own comptuer then you should have no problem with letting others use your network to get online. As in my apt complex some people have wireless abilty just cant or wont pay for the connection, so I let them use mine, but will swap it out for security in a quick hurry if I am getting lag while playing a game :whistling:

But yes almost all routers have the abilty to tell, are you haveing a problem with others useing it?

You can also set up Mac addressing for your router, that should help stop others from useing it, but thats a long drawn out process, just set up the security and go from there :help:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. If you have passwords set, make them hard to crack by using CAPS, numbers, and symbols if possible. Mine is about 20 digits I think, using numbers, letters, and symbols. The letters are also in mixed cases. Nobody in the neighborhood can crack this without me noticing. Now, switching over to the other subject... LiaoGoren, you do understand that all someone needs to do is inject your network with a Trojan, or some other form of Malware, and then your computer would be infected? Viruses are designed to spread, especially over networks, because it's even easier! Networks have the proper permissions, and can see each other. Usually, networks will hold many computers at once, making the virus all the more dangerous. I would be very, very careful if I were you. Sure, people will appreciate this, but some will leave you their calling card... Not the good kind either :blink:

By the way, did you know that Marriott hotels provide free wireless internet? They do down here anyway... Then again, they just hooked up all of Tampa with free wireless :whistling:

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
lol thats what firewalls and virus and spyware scans are for.

You cant acess my computer without some serious hacking skills, and I have a rule, if you can get into my computer you deserve to be in there!

Also as another form of security, I have a back-up copy of everything on my computer that is updated eveyday in a matter of mins. Its kept 100% seperate from both my computers and only takes me about 3-5 mins to update all files needed so I have a copy.

I have myself covered like white on rice so that if I do happen to get hacked, I am back up and running like nothing happened in a matter of maybe an hour.

There are a TON of ways to protect yourself and be a nice person. I think in general I have had no problems at all with anyone trying anything on my computer at all.

The way I look at it , whats the difference in letting others piggy back on your signal, or going to IHOP or another place and sitting there for HOURS doing whatever from your laptop. You have the same (more if you ask me cause you dont have control) security problems as if you let someone use your signal. So to me its all the same and just a matter of time to when wireless signals are as easy to get as cell signals

I did a neat little thing, I went to sprint and got their wireless broadband connection, and well guess what no one can hack me from sitting next to me in a coffee house, they have to get at me via the net... so I am all good.

Thats my 2 cents that no one ask for!!!

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If you do decide that you don't want people on your network, the DHCP monitor will work, but only if the "culprit" is getting their IP address assigned by DHCP... If they are somewhat intelligent, they will static their ip address and you will not be able to tell by that method.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, all I have to say is keep waiting.

Going back to the original issue, I think some routers will have some sort of access log which you can view. Might want to see if the router comes with that feature. It would be even easier if you can look at a log :whistling:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Let me know if you really don't want people there. There are ways to make it so that unless they know the name of your network they can't see it. Also ways to make it so that if they do know the name, and they can see it, only your MAC address is the only one your wireless router will talk to. Also, if you do set it up for DHCP, you can give yourself a somewhat uncommon IP address and Subnet mask, and set your DHCP server to only assign one IP, that way if they are getting a signal, they won't get an IP, and if it is something like 172.16.x.x most people won't think to assign that.