Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable boot volume, no xp discs, not reading cd

• Please log in to reply

steffismith

steffismith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello,
my son's compaq presario running win xp home, purchased in 2001, will not boot. I keep getting a blue error screen with an "unmountable boot drive" error. He was on a music download site and probably picked up something there. I've found topics on how to boot from the Win XP disc, but I don't have one. So I downloaded the boot disc info from another website. My new computer, however, doesn't have a floppy drive, so I tried to save the boot info to a CD-R. Doesn't work. When I run the program to copy it to the cd, it won't write it to the e: drive and stops running. I don't know what other steps to take, obviously I can't download it to floppies from his computer if it won't start, lol. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi steffismith
You could have a look at this Article and see if that Helps you and post back and let me Know. Good Luck

Link to Aumha.org
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
At the moment it's impossible to pinpoint the problem. It could be a corrupt boot sector, corrupt file tables ruined disk etc. It could help a lot if you could borrow an xp disk so that we can try some fixes using the recovery console.

steffismith

steffismith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for your responses - what I ended up doing was using the quick recovery cd and clearing it all back to factory installed software only. It wasn't that big of a deal since I had already transfered most of my stuff to the new dell, and his main concern was his itunes music, which hopefully we will recovered once he syncs his ipod. seemed to be running well last night, so our fingers are crossed. Thanks again!

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Your Welcome glad it worked out for you