Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wont load at all - xp

• Please log in to reply

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Ok, i've run into problem, after problem, after problem.

now my cmp is totally fudged...

it wont load at all....

i've removed my latest RAM stick (1gb) cuz i got one 512mb, oone 256 and got another 1gb for xmas.....,i removed the 1gb one and it still doesnt work

firstly it will load to logon screen, i logon on... it will load for about 20 seconds... then completely freeze. so i press reset or turn off the power..... when it tries to load... it doesnt... my screen goes into standby.

So i switch it off for about 30 seconds.... then turn it back on.... it will boot up...

What the... is going on????????

why is this happening?? i hate one of those blue screen errors again just before... thena fter than my computer doesnt work at all.....

is it bios?? i tried updating bios but cant cuz i dont have a floppy drive.... i have access to another computer.... so anything that needs to be done can be done. i tried to update bios via cdrom, but i couldnt figure out how to do it.... i tried the nero boot cd method... but that doesnt work... it boots up fine... but the files that are required for bios update arent on the cd when i type "dir"

how the [bleep] can i fix this???

thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
nope, no good, computer completely freezes again on fresh install or repair....

now what??

Edited by pleasehelpmenow, 24 April 2007 - 05:13 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Just wondering....

Does this comp have a Driver disk?
Try booting from it if it does.
Thats where the ntldr is. Most likely.
If it's the driver disk for that computer.
It will give you the option to reformat and auto install windows.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
NTLDR - short for NT Loader is a hidden, read only system file that loads the Operating System during the boot sequence, which is as follows :

Power on self test (POST) routines are run

Master Boot Record is loaded into memory, and the program is run

The Boot Sector from Active Partition is Loaded into Memory

Ntldr is loaded and initialized from the boot sector

Change the processor from real mode to 32-bit flat memory mode

Ntldr starts the appropriate minifile system drivers. Minifile system drivers are built into Ntldr and can read FAT or NTFS

Ntldr reads the Boot.ini file

Ntldr loads the operating system selected, on of two things happen

If Windows NT is selected, Ntldr runs Ntdetect.com

For other operating system, Ntldr loads and runs Bootsect.dos and passes control to it. The Windows NT process ends here

Ntdetect.com scans the computer hardware and sends the list to Ntldr for inclusion in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE

Ntldr then loads Ntoskrnl.exe, Hal.dll and the system hive

Ntldr scans the System hive and loads the device drivers configured to start at boot time

Ntldr passes control to Ntoskrnl.exe, at which point the boot process ends and the load phases begin

A recognised method for resolving NTLDR is missing is:

Change your computer's boot sequence. Make sure that your computer's first boot sequence is the CD-ROM Drive.

1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.Enter in the following commands

COPY X:i386NTLDR C:

COPY X:i386NTDETECT.COM C:

[where X=CD ROM Drive]

Take out the CD ROM and type exit

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Good info there Keith.

Not trying to but in, but on my system you have boot from the driver disk to reformat and reinstall windows or it thinks it's a different machine and I would have to buy windows xp again.

So when I reformat I boot from the driver disk.

Select option 1-format hard drive-reboot to cd-select option 2-auto reload winxp.
It then says to put the xp cd in and reboot.
Then it loads no problems.

If I tryed to boot from the xp cd only I get the missing ntldr message.

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
the problem has escalated further..... i cannot load up windows... i've wiped my HD, tried a fresh install... 2 mins into the install and it crashes... i have to press reset... (says 39 mins remaining)

So... i thought it'd be RAm problem?? but i dont think it is... here is the result of my Memtest after 10 hours and 30 mins....

Pentium 4 (0.09) 2499 mhz (im positive that my processor is a 3000 mhz???????
l1 cache 16k 15328mb/s
l2 cache 1024k 15328mb/s
memory 1792m 1060mb/s
chipset SiS 661 / fsb 166 mhz

walltime cached rsvdmem memmap cache ECC test pass errors ECC errs
10:52:25 1792m 104k e820-std on off std 11 0

by that info im gathering its not my ram or memory problems??

what next???

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
im guessing it is a bios problem...

however my bois is [bleep]ed up too... there are tow menus i can choose... security, and exit...

i can not see comp temps or any of that info.... somehow the bios has been wiped... how do i sort out my bios settings?

i have no floppy drive, so it would have to be done via cd... yet... i dont know how this would be done...

my motherboard is a asrock p4s61 and the latest bios version is 2.50

i've read the instructions on the site for updating bios... but it only tells me via floppy... i tried to use the bootup disk option in nero... and add the bios update files with it too... but the files weren;t found... i also tried writing ntldr, boot.ini, ntdetect.com to disk along with the files and still nothing...

i doubt this is fixable now :whistling: and i cant afford a new computer atm :blink:

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
as a last resort

turn off power

unplug power cord

open compter

pull the battery out

replace battery

plug in the power turn on machine

keep tapping F2 and delete or F1 or the tab key then delete
some machines are different
keep tapping them all untill you get to the bios

First set the Clock to the right time day month and year.
Then go through each option in the bios.
Find load standard defaults find boot sequence and select d or cdrom for the first boot device.

BEFORE all that, what is the computer model?

Edited by cmpm, 25 April 2007 - 01:04 AM.

Advertisements

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
wht do u mean? what model??

my motherboard??

its an american megatrends or something...

motherboard is an asrock p4s61
by the way, that memtest has been running 22 and a half hours... and its still the same... no errors... but 24 passes

Edited by pleasehelpmenow, 25 April 2007 - 04:29 AM.

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
tried another fresh install... 2 mins into the installation.... another blue screen of death!!

CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM:

0x00000026 (0x000401F4, 0xF7646864, 0xF7646564, 0xF7593B89)

cdfs.sys - Address F7593B89 base at F7587000, datestamp3b7de20e

What the...??

what is wrong with my computer... nothing will work :whistling:

Edited by pleasehelpmenow, 25 April 2007 - 05:07 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you able to unplug the PC, open the case, remove any third party cards, sound, video etc, leave one memory stick in

Unplug leads from the back of the PC, with the exception of the keyboard, mouse and monitor

Try the install

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
the only thing that is third party is my gfx card...

i removed the battery like i was told... and my bios settings have appeared... my bios settings are at the latest....

but it said my processor with 3ghz, then when i went into bios it said 2.5??

and it stays at 2.5... i know 1000000% that its a 3.0 whats up with that... but i'll try that anyways...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Leave all the onboard stuff connected to the motherboard

Only remove things from PCI slots