Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wont load at all - xp

• Please log in to reply

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
lol.. i dont know much about hardware but ok...

also, i get an error saying mac address on apc & dmi are invalid or something =S

how do i fix this?? problem after pisin problem... might aswell get the pisin hammer to it!!

Edited by pleasehelpmenow, 25 April 2007 - 05:52 AM.

Advertisements

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
ok... its crashed again....

its not my memory, its not my graphics card,

im tellin ya... its probably bios... but noooo u keep sayin all these other things....

my bios settin is telling me my processor is a pentium 4 2.5 ghz...

its a cowing 3.0... i kno... i chose that processor when i bought the comp....

so its gotta be bios settins...

like i said... its an asrock p4s61....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The PCI Slots are shown here, your video card may be in the AGP slot, but it is only those slots you need to remove stuff from, then leave one memory stick in

If it still insists on amusing you :whistling: try another memory stick

http://www.talkingbo...motherboard.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you find the BIOS defaults option

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
yea i chose to load the default settings... its still tells me im using 2.50 ghz....

i removed my gfx card... and i've tried different memory sticks...

the problem still persists...

to load my computer up.... i have to turn off my comp for 30 seconds.... then turn it back on... if i press reset... it doesnt boot.... if i turn off for say 10 seconds... and turn it back on... it comes on... but my monitor stays in standby...

its not my gfx card as i unplugged it and used on board gfx card....

im completely stumped... only thing i can think of is a setting in my bios??

but which one... i havent a clue?

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
ok, there is nothing in my pci slots... just my gfx card in agp

i removed the two latest memory sticks and left the one i had with the computer in it....

and its froze again... its a bios setting... gotta be

edit:

also... i was looking at bios settings and it froze in bios?? is it processor problem now or what??

if this isnt fixable i'd rather u just say... so u dont waste ur time n stuff...

Edited by pleasehelpmenow, 25 April 2007 - 06:31 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can take the card out of the AGP slot

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i did... and it still frooze...

i've tried eerything so far...

any more ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I will ask wannabe1 to have a look, though he is US based so it will be later today now

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
ok thanks very much for ur time... just to recap then... so its easier for him to know whats gone on....

Firstly, i was having problems so i repaired windows... I then started getting a blue screen crashing my comp at least 3 or 4 times a day...

I then had one the other day... a blue screen.. and since then... my computer has gone to pot....

If i turn on my computer, and try a fresh install of windows... it crashes two mins into the install. If i press reset button, my comp will not reboot back up... and my monitor goes into standby. I have to turn off my power for 20 seconds or more for it to boot up again. otherwise my monitor stays in standby and my computer doesnt boot up.

I used a memtest program to see if it was RAM or memory problems... it passes after 23 hours and 24 passes and no errors.

I then took out all third party hardware.. except for one RAM stick which came with the computer when i bought it... That didnt work either, it still froze two mins into setup.

I was then told to remove my battery, i did that... and that still didnt work. (plus my bios tells my im running a 2.5 GHz pentium 4, when i know for a fact 100% that its a 3.0GHz, when i took battery out, replaced it, and booted comp back up... it changed to 3.0ghz, then when it froze and i restarted, it reverted back to 2.5??)

Im still sure its either hardware or bios setting... we havent tried to sort any of the bios settings yet, i daren't do it myself incase i make things worse...

i've also been getting a "mac adress at apc & dmi are invalid" error (or something similar) since i removed my battery from motherboard....

so... i think i need a miracle to sort this now...

thanks

Lee

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi pleasehelpmenow...

I've got to work this morning, but will give you a couple things to try until I return.

Will this machine boot up and run in Safe Mode? During the boot, right after the system beep, tap the F8 key and choose "Safe Mode" from the advanced startup menu.

If it runs ok in Safe Mode, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the General tab, tick the radio button next to "Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only" and "Apply" the changes. Restart.

Upon restarting you will see a selective startup dialog...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Let me know how the machine behaves in each configuration.

As a side note...have you given any thought to installing a floppy drive in your machine? If this does, in fact, turn out to be a BIOS issue, it would be nice to have one to flash the BIOS.

wannabe1

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Well here's a couple of links to check out.

http://msdn.microsof...2kmsgs/1153.asp

http://groups.google...dfs_file_system

seems it's the ram or ide cables mostly

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
well my computer has a floppy drive, but the one im using at the moment doesnt.... i looked inside this computer and i think its a different connection.

because i was gonna try a fresh install on this computer and see if it was my HD that was the problem... but this computer is newer... and the connection was different... it was smaller in this computer... and so was the power cable to the HD...

i have wiped my HD now because i thought that was the problem.... however, it wouldnt boot in safe mode... only in safe mode with command prompt... then if i ctrl alt del and started explorer.exe it would freeze....

so then i wiped my HD and tried a fresh install... and it froze... and its been freezing ever since

let me know.. thanx

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I got the impression that the machine would start.

When you attempted the install, did you receive any file copy errors?

You mention that it stalls two minutes into the installation routine. Is there a "time remaining" indication when it hangs? (ie: 39 minutes remaining or 34 minutes remaining.)

The cable that connects a floppy drive is different than those used for the HDD and connect to a different bus on the motherboard, but they are standard and you should be able to install one on the machine. The power connector is also different (small, flat four pin) and will be hooked up backwards when compared to the the HDD power connectors...that is, the red wire will be just the opposite of the one to the HDD.

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
u've lost me...

ok... it hangs at 39 mins....

so i can use floppy on this machine... then move drive to my machine wen needed?