Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Command And Conquer Generals zero hour prob

• Please log in to reply

stormbringer beta

stormbringer beta

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Everytime i open the game (double click the icon) i get this error message, [which i will post later today] and it involves either my computer not having the specs to play the game, overheating hardware or a virus. I started getting this message after i formatted my /C (the game was on /D) should i try reinstalling?

Advertisements

stormbringer beta

stormbringer beta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
this is the message that pops up

[ You have encountered a serious error. Serious errors can be caused by many things inculding viruses, overheated hardware and hardware that does not meet the minimum specifications for the game. Please visit the forums at www.generals.ea.com for suggested courses of action or consult your manual for technical support contact information]

so, any1 got a solution? i know i dont have a virus cause i have updated norton and avg and i scan once a week. i know i have higher than minimum specs cause i can play many other games which require more than this (like world of warcraft) and im pretty sure its not overheated hardware now that i solves my fanny problem (thx geekstogo)

please help!

Jonathan terrington

Jonathan terrington

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Zero Hour is compatible with Vista but there are a few adjustments which need to be made.
The Vista problem seems to occur manually but this is misleading when trying to determine the cause. The real reason for this apparent randomness is if the game was previously installed under XP and the old "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder is present under Vista. This is also the reason why people say that "It woks on one Vista Machine but not another." It is simply because one of the PC's has there backup files on!
The direct cause of the crash on my system was to do with the presence of a map folder. Removing the folder fixes the issue while restoring it causes a crash again. Surprisingly, the presence of an options.ini or all the others seems to leave Zero Hour fine.
To resolve do these steps...

1- Navigate to your documents folder.
2- Rename the existing "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder by appending with word old (Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data Old)
3- Test
4- If you do not wish to loose your old stats like skirmish data etc. simply copy all the .ini files across except options.ini (Options.ini caused no problems on mine but it is easy to change the settings again so may as well play it safe)
5- Enjoy the game.

Jonathan Terrington
Jterrington at talktalk dot net

PS. Only tested on 2 systems so cannot be 100% but please let me know if it fixes you so we can advise EA of the fix to post on there site.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Yes, you should reinstall. After reinstalling the o/s you are probably missing some registry pointers to the game.

Armenis

Armenis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everybody..!! forgive my english please...

I try to find the Skirmish file from Generals Zero Hour... but i cant..?? is that possible..???

i have windows vista...!!

When i had Windows XP, i could through "Search".... but in Vista, i cant..??

CAN somebody help me..???

THank you in advance..!!!

Phoenix_1

Phoenix_1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this same problem. Here is the solution to make it work in windows vista/7 32 and 64bit versions:
1. Make sure you have the latest DirectX 9.0c installed. If you are not sure, simply download it at http://www.microsoft...43...laylang=en
2. Go to your "User" directory (for example C:/Users/YourName)
3. Open the My Documents folder
4. Find and open the folder named "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" (or without Zero Hour for normal C&C Generals)
5. Right click, select "new" from the menu that pops up, and finally select "Text Document"
6. Copy the lines below into the new text document. Save the file as options.ini (remember you're changing the extension from .txt to .ini)

AntiAliasing = 4
BuildingOcclusion = yes
CampaignDifficulty = 2
DrawScrollAnchor = yes
DynamicLOD = no
ExtraAnimations = yes
GameSpyIPAddress = 0.0.0.0
Gamma = 50
HeatEffects = yes
IPAddress = 0.0.0.0
IdealStaticGameLOD = Low
LanguageFilter = false
MaxParticleCount = 5000
MusicVolume = 50
Resolution = 800 600
Retaliation = yes
SFX3DVolume = 72
SFXVolume = 64
ScrollFactor = 100
SendDelay = no
ShowSof****erEdge = yes
ShowSoftWaterEdge = yes
ShowTrees = yes
StaticGameLOD = Custom
TextureReduction = 0
UseAlternateMouse = yes
UseCloudMap = yes
UseDoubleClickAttackMove = no
UseLightMap = yes
UseShadowDecals = yes
UseShadowVolumes = yes
VoiceVolume = 78

7. You may have to change the line, "Resolution = 800 600" to your computer's resolution. However, regardless of your true resolution, do not change this unless you need to later. It will be set to the appropriate setting once you choose the option in-game
8. Right Click on your Generals / Zero Hour shortcut or game exe file.
9. In the Compatibility Tab select Windows XP SP3 and click "Run as administrator" option too (if you are not already an admin)
10. Click Okay and run the game.
11. Enjoy!

If the game starts but becomes minimized immediately then you will want to edit the resolution line in your options.ini file. Play with a few resolutions, I've found that 1440 900 is a good one to start it with on widescreen monitors. 800 600 is good for normal aspect ratios. The game will set these to more appropriate values once you change your settings in-game.

Benedito Neto

Benedito Neto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A second click with the right mouse button in the
Command and Conquer incone Zero hour.
properties enseguida
Compatibilidadeabilita abilita
Windows XP (Service Pack 3) of the OK and enter the game as Administrator.

Pronto e so jogar.

Brasil e noixxx