Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone used OpenVPN before?

• Please log in to reply

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Guys & Dolls,

I'll just get down to the nitty gritty, I have been trying to setup a VPN connection between my laptop at a friend's house and my server on my LAN at home. I used OpenVPN to get this done.

I managed to get a tunnel up and running from my laptop to my server but I am unable to ping the server for some reason. The ports have been opened in the router and firewalls on both laptop and server.

I am a little confused as to why I cannot ping anything once the tunnel is up and running. I noticed that I cannot use the internet once the tunnel is active.

If there is anyone out there that has successfully setup OpenVPN for tunnelling, PLEASE :whistling:

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Never used this product. Have setup VPN's before. You need to look closely at the IP address of each machine. if you cannot ping, I would examine the IP addresses in use. if they are different subnets the machine trying to ping may use it's gateway to access it... and I'm guessing that it's not a routeable IP.

I have had MANY issues getting the VPN to assign a second IP that matches the IP scheme I'm accessing over VPN. ONCE that is fixed you will have DNS stuff to work out. THAT is almost always a pain.

Sorry if the info I've given is something you've already looked at.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Double check your router config, what kind of router are you using? It may be blocking ICMP traffic. Make sure both machines are on the same subnet as well. Also, what type of authentication are you using with OpenVPN?

Now, if you are up to it and your router is compatible, I would recommend reflashing the router with DD-WRT or another open source firmware. It integrates OpenVPN right into the router.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I am assuming that OpenVPN is the server software, are you using the windows vpn client software? If so there is an option checked by default that forces you to use the remote network default gateway instead of your own.

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
The laptop is using OpenVPN GUI software. The server has it's own OpenVPN software specifically for it with it's service on automatically when it boots up.

The router I am using is a Belkin wireless router (picture HERE)

Any other suggestions.

Will be appreciated, thanks anyway guys who replied to this entry.