Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help viewing wmz files

• Please log in to reply

mmillage

mmillage

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recieved an email with a zipped file, unzipped the file and found I had .wmz files which really are .wmf files. This information is very important for me to be able to view and print. Can anyone help me understand how to correct this problem? I try to open teh .wmz files and get a few different errors stating "Skin File Is Not Valid", "This is not a supported file type or not correctly decoded". I tried to convert the file to a pdf and got an error stating "Image Type not supported". Is there anything I can do to open and view these files?

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Does the file not just open in Word? Then you can print or convert to PDF?

mmillage

mmillage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, it automatically tries to open the file in Windows Media Player. I tried to open it in Word but, it tells me to select the font that make my document readable.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
What is the exact message you get from MS Word?

mmillage

mmillage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
File Converstion - image009.wmz

Select the encoding that makes your document readable

Text encoding: MS Dos, Windows Default, or Other encoding (None of the text codes will display the information)

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
See if this article helps you at all....

http://office.micros...12491033.aspx#4

Did someone encode this file?

mmillage

mmillage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm sure it was encoded by the company I received it from. It is supposed to be contract information I need to print and sign. I think if I could figure out how to download the attachment and save it as a .wfm it would work but, it doesn't allow me to do that either. It auromatically downloads and saves as a .wmz file instead.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Supposedly the wmz is just a zipped wfm, if you unzip it, then right-click and select "open with" then select Word...it doesn't work?

Can you contact the sender and see how they recommend you open it?

mmillage

mmillage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've tried that too:) Once I unzip the folder it shows as a .wmz file - I have tried to "open" every program I have. I've even tried to change the file extension and open it that way - didn't work either.

The sender doesn't have the nature to want to help resolve the problem - I've even requested they send it in a pdf or fax it to me.