Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Norton Internet Security 2007 has hosed my computer!

• Please log in to reply

rlw9

rlw9

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Last night we installed the NIS 2007 and I have had nothing but problems since. I've read where a lot of people have issues with it running slow, but mine will hardly run at all. I cannot open anything on my desktop, not IE, digital pics, control panel, nothing! At one point I actually was able to get to the Control Pane, but when I tried to uninstall Norton I kept getting a message that said Live Update was running. I tried turning LU off, but it wouldn't let me. Anyone have nay suggestions???

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Is the LU something you can kill in Task Manager, then try the uninstall?

What about safe mode with no networking?

Edited by jwinathome, 24 April 2007 - 12:41 PM.

rlw9

rlw9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I broke down & called Norton, but I didn't have much luck. After I finally got it through the techs head that I couldn't open anything, not just IE, but any folders on my desktop pretty much, he had me restart in SAFE mode and delete the Symantec files and a few others. I'm still having the same problem. Nothing would open, even in SAFE mode. He seems to think it's my laptop, not the Norton, but I used it right before the install with no problems. I'm at the end of my rope! My last resort is to call Dell and pay the $239 for service and see what they can do to help figure it out.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Don't do that! There are many knowledgeable people here that can help you with this issue.

I disagree with deleting files and folders, sounds messy.

Please go to Start > Run and type MSCONFIG.....check the startup tab for any Norton related items, and also check the services tab....put a check in the box that says "Hide Microsoft Services"....now uncheck any Norton entries you see. Then reboot the computer....if you can please leave the computer unplugged from the Internet.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Try this removal tool....

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...emoval_Tool.exe

rlw9

rlw9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I would've tried the removal tool, but I can't open the internet! That's part of the problem. I have a friend who's really good with computers and he's going to take a look at it. I really do hate to call Dell!