Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Recovery Files After Format?

• Please log in to reply

bigman1986

bigman1986

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
i have an old ibm thinkpad 770e and accidently formatted the drive which had very important files on it!!! please help me i havetried mant programs such as recovery boot cds, ancronis,pc inspector, and like 5 other types with no luck! maybe because most of them are trial version and won't let me? please help!!! thanks!

Converted topic title/description and message to lowercase. You don't need to yell to get your point across. It is much easier to read lowercase anyways. :whistling:

Edited by Fenor, 07 May 2007 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
When you format and reinstall it overwrites the files on the hard drive. Someone else correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you have done this and those files cannot be recovered (if they were overwritten.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is a slight chance that the files can be recovered...but it won't be easy...if you want there to be any hope..you have to stop using the computer IMMEDIATELY the more you use it the fewer files that will be recoverable...your best bet would be to have the drive recovered by a proffessional service (not geek squad....they WILL NOT recover your files)..however this isn't cheap...most places i've seen are $200 minimum...just to look at the thing...if the files are that important...this is your best bet

you can also check out the UBCD4WIN...it contains about 8 or 9 recovery programs...and 3 of them are designed for recovering files from a format

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I just used PC Inspector http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html to recover my files, it worked really well... and most of my files were recoverable. (My computer had been formatted a short time ago and even some of those files were still present... but mostly it was just the files that thieves (I got my computer back) had deleted that I restored... which is excellent.)