Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't watch video

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I was at my nana's the other day and she recorded some home videos onto a blank dvd for me (as I don't have a vhs player myself). After she recorded it, we watched it from the dvd just to make sure it worked - all good.

When I popped it into my computer to play (at home now), the dialog popped up (under XP) asking Blank Disc - what do you want to do? After navigating to the directory, it does show up as a blank disc, but it worked on her machine!

She has an LG DVD/VHS box where she can just record straight between the two. Anybody know if I can make it work at all?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you check if the disc needs to be finalised on the LG machine

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah it was finalised. I remember watching the screen and it took about one minute. Does anybody know what format LG records at? Maybe the DVD was a dodgy blank? Is there a RAW video format?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try other media players, VLC plays most things

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/

http://www.filehippo...are/multimedia/

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Would VLC play it if K-Lite Mega Codecs Pack won't? I don't want to bother with the whole uninstallation and installation process for a similar program when I like the K-Lite already and it works good on my comp...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably not

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh well, you're a champ for some quick responses. It just must be a dud dvd. I'll just have to try it again properly next time I visit her (lucky she lives close by).

Cheers.