Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing favorites and installing itunes

• Please log in to reply

satcy10

satcy10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For some reason my boyfriend has never been able to access Favorites in IE since buying his laptop. It didn't bother him, so he ignored it until it is causing me problems now. I have been tying to download iTunes to the computer and have been unsuccessful. I can download the application, but when Installer tries to install it, I get an error message. It is an iTunes + Quicktime error and it says "Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Favorites\." The error box gives you a choice between retrying or canceling the installation. Retrying keeps giving me the same error box and when you cancel it brings you to the iTunes installation page and says that the installation is complete, but that it encountered errors and needs to be run again. I have been through the forums at apple and microsoft and can't find anything to fix the problem. I'm not sure if not being able to access the favorites in internet explorer has anything to do with installing iTunes, but it is the only thing I can think of. Please Help!!!

System: Windows XP Media Center Version 2002, Service Pack 2
Computer: Dell Inspiron I6000

Edited by satcy10, 25 April 2007 - 12:48 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, satcy10. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm assuming the operating system is Windows XP and Internet Explorer is version 6. If this isn't correct, please post back.

If this is correct, have a look at Microsoft article 886549. This involves editing the registry. Create a System Restore point before making any of the changes indicated in the article.

Please let us know how it turns out.

satcy10

satcy10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No, it is Internet Explorer 7. Will the same article work with this version of IE?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I don't know if it will or not. Did you look at the registry key to see if it shows the wrong value? If it does, then I'd try the fix. Just be sure to back up the registry key before actually making the change. To do that, right click HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders, then choose Export. Save it to your desktop. Make the change, reboot.

If you need to restore that part of the registry later, just double click the .reg file on your desktop. You'll get a message about importing the registry.

If this doesn't fix it, please post back any other errors you get, including error numbers.

Also, did you install IE7 or did it come on the computer (since you said this had been a problem since the purchase)?

satcy10

satcy10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did check the registry and found that the value was wrong. I fixed it according to the article link you sent and everything seems to work fine now. The computer originally came with IE6, and had the problems with the favorites, and we upgraded to IE7 hoping that it would solve the problem. Turns out it was in the registry and now everything seems to be fixed. Thanks for all of your help!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Good!! Thanks for letting us know :whistling: