Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting an external disk drive to work

• Please log in to reply

tezzaah

tezzaah

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
because of an ongoing problem with disk space I recently bought what I thought was a 400G external drive however when it arrived (yes I bought it online) it was actually an internal drive so I asked the supplier if I could return it and they siad that I could convert it to an external drive with a nexstar kit which I bought and assembled however I cannot get my system to recognise it. I am thinking it may have something to do with my system being unable to decide if it is the master or slave.....can someone please help with this problem?

The drive I purchased is:
Samsung 400GB HD400LD IDE ATA100 HDD - 7200rpm, 8MB Cache

and the conversion kit was VANTEC NEXSTAR2 3.5" ENCLOSURE COMBO

thanks T

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi tezzaah! Welcome to G2G!

I am figuring the external enclosure that you purchased and assembled plugs into your computer via USB. If that is the case, can you hear the hard drive spinning up when its power is plugged in? If so, do the following:

Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then double-click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. The COMPUTER MANAGEMENT window will now appear. In the list on the left side, click once on DISK MANAGEMENT under the heading STORAGE. Now look on the right side of the window and you should see all your hard drives and cd/dvd drives listed. Locate the one corresponding to the new hard drive and right click on it and select CREATE NEW PARTITION. The new partition wizard will now open, just follow along with the instructions.

Once your drive is finished being formatted, it will now be ready to be used and should be visible in MY COMPUTER. :whistling:

Fenor

NOTE -- THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE BASED ON THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO DATA ON THIS DRIVE THAT YOU NEED TO RECOVER, AND/OR THAT IT IS A NEW DRIVE. IF THERE IS DATA ON THIS DRIVE YOU NEED TO RECOVER FOR SOME REASON, THEN DON'T DO THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS!

tezzaah

tezzaah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry, the control panel does not list administrative tools as an option.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you logged in with an account that as administrative privileges or are you logging in with a Limited account?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 26 April 2007 - 07:48 PM.

tezzaah

tezzaah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
My account says computer administrator.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type in compmgmt.msc and click OK. That will open up the Computer Management window. Once it's open, continue on with my instructions from my first reply.

Fenor

tezzaah

tezzaah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I click on disk management 3 drives appear c&d and a third un named with a capacity of 2g and when I right click the only options are "delete partition" and "help" ............... the capacity of the new drive should be 400G

Sorry I feel so stupid at the moment... i appeciate your help

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you open up Computer Management and make sure Disk Management is selected and then take a screenshot of it and send it in a PM to me? You can send a PM to me by clicking HERE.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Maximize the Window first though before you take the screenshot so that I can see everything listed better. :whistling:

Fenor

tezzaah

tezzaah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
don't seem to be able to print screen.

I am using alt + prt scrn to copy it and the prt scrn to copy it to the body of the email but no joy. what am I doing wrong? I have done the same thing into a word doc and it works.................

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have the Computer Management window, Disk Management selected and the window maximized, then click the PRTSCN button. Now go to START-->RUN and type mspaint. In the Paint window, click on EDIT and the PASTE. Then go to FILE-->SAVE and make sure you change the save type from Bitmap to Jpeg. Save it to somewhere you will remember. Once you do that, click on the PM link in my previous post and that will open up a window to send me a private message (PM). Make sure to give the message a title and type something into the body of the message (the big white box). Towards the bottom of the page, you will see ATTACHMENTS and below that the heading Select a File. To the right of Select a file you will see a white text box and a button called BROWSE. Click that button. In the new window that appears, select the file you just saved in Paint. Then you will be back to the PM page. Click the UPLOAD button. Once it's done uploading, click on SEND MESSAGE.

tezzaah

tezzaah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the attachments link is not available when I click in the link to send a PM although I can see it is available on this message. Am I doing something wrong because I really am not completely useless when it comes to my computer................. I do appreciate your patience

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just add it as an attachment to your reply then. I can just remove it from your post afterwards.

Fenor

tezzaah

tezzaah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
screen print

Removed screenshot

Edited by Fenor, 26 April 2007 - 09:18 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you see one the bottom right of that picture where it says Disk1, Disk2, Disk3? Now to the right of those you will see a scroll bar. Can you move that scroll bar down to the bottom and take another screenshot so I can see the rest?

Oh, I am removing your screenshot from your last post as soon as I add this reply. :whistling:

Fenor