Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop monitor goes white

• Please log in to reply

Big Red

Big Red

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, just recently my laptop screen has started to go all white for a few seconds and then back to normal. When it turns white the system continues as normal (music keeps playing, no programs close), it's only the display that cuts out. It can last seconds or a few minutes and then goes back to normal on its own. This can happen many times in a short span of time as well.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi. The monitor is a 15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite TFT LCD and the video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X700 with 64MB VRAM.

Any idea why this would be happening? I'm thinking it may be a video card issue that just may need some tweaking, but not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

zirvo

zirvo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
if u r willing to do an experiment, do it, heres what u would do, try to connect ur laptop to the tv tru Svideo or anyways you know to connect your laptop to a monitor, this is a test to see which is the problem. if the tv does the same thing with those white screens, that indicates your video card has a difect, and if it comes out normal no white screens then the problem goes to your laptop monitor.

Edited by zirvo, 26 April 2007 - 09:23 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
could be the video card or it could be the cable connecting the lcd to the video... even if you can get output to the screen it could still be with the board and not the laptop as the output to the lcd is one connector and the one to the monitor, what ever is different. it could also be the invertor which is a fairly inexpensive fix ( well compared to the screen anyway ).... I would recommend taking it to someplace that works on laptops unless you have had experience taking laptops apart....

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
If you lightly tap the monitor when it does this, does it flicker?

Big Red

Big Red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, moving the monitor up and down doesn't do anything, just stays the same until it decides to fix itself. Don't really have the cables to connect to a s-video to test it either. If it keeps up I'll probably bring it in someplace. This laptop seems to have a habit of developing weird quirks and then making them go away, so it might fix itself eventually. Any other suggestions would still be appreciated though.

I've always had trouble finding video drivers for this card, would anyone know where I could get the latest? The card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X700. Thanks.

zirvo

zirvo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
isnt it that the vid card is built-in in the the laptop? thats why it is hard to find.

Big Red

Big Red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes the video card is built in but there should still be drivers for it somewhere right?

zirvo

zirvo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried to search for one, cant find any, have you tried looking some parts at your laptop manufacturers website? (like HP, tochiba, sony etc.) if nothini theres no other choice but to let it fix hehehe right?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you have access to a external monitor (or a friend), just plug the monitor in to the laptop.
If it continues to work, the problem is in the display / screen, or (I believe) the inverter.

Big Red

Big Red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
And neither of those possibilities are things I can fix right?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
IF you are not confortable taking them apart then no.... If it's the invertor it MIGHT be worth fixing as those tend to not be too expensive and shouldn't take too long to replace.... ( maybe an hour or so ) if it is the screen either you need to deal with it or buy a new computer as screens for dells run $200 + and that is for their small cheep machines....