Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server 2003 Std - out of drive space

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a server 2003 sp1 that has 3 partitions. This is also a virtual machine, running in vmserver.

C = 20GB w/ 500 MB left
D = 50GB w/ 43 GB left
E = 100GB w/ 60 GB left

The problem here is the C drive, I dont have any unneccassary software installed but I need to come up with more room on my main partition.

This is under the knowledge that there are no real partitioning tools out there for server 2003.

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi jaxisland.

I'll just throw this out there.....

The very "low-tech" solution is to uninstall some software off of C: and reinstall it on one of the other patitions (looks like D: is under-utilized). I had to do that on my W2k SBS because the C: was originally partitioned at 10GB (don't get me started... it was before I got here) and was hovering at 10% free space. I didn't feel comofortable trying any kind of partitioning software, so I just moved software to the other partition. Now I just routinely run a cleaning program to remove temp files and I'm able to keep it at 20% free space.

I'm sure there are other G2Gers who can give additional (and maybe better) advice..... it' won't hurt my feelings :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My first thoughts are parallel to yours.

The problem is this, other than windows and the support tools the only other thing installed on the C drive is sql. And I keep all the sql data on the D drive.

I cannot find anything to uninstall to make more room. I just have such a hard time believing that windows and sql without data takes up 20 GB. I have DNS installed too but thats it.

Thanks

gary856

gary856

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You have to ask yourself what are you using the server for, and what are those processes generating? For example, if you are using it as a web server, you might consider putting the IIS log files on a different volume. Are their any other processes that may be generating log files?

Also, if you haven't already, take a look at what's in "C:\WINDOWS\Temp". Depending on who you talk to, most of the files in this directory can be deleted. I've had issues in the past with SQL server leaving .tmp files there when I was having timeout issues.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Like I said above its a DNS server and SQL. The sql logs are on the D drive. I cant figure out why there is 14 GB just in the WINDOWS directory with no files in the temp folders.