Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SvcHost

• Please log in to reply

SoulJa86

SoulJa86

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok so I'm running Windows XP home edition SP2. After reboot, a few hours into running, my computer will begin running very slow. A quick Ctrl + Alt + Delete and I see SvcHost is using as much CPU as available. I think its under my user name rather than the system's running processes, but I dont remember. I can let this run for an hour and it wont "complete" what ever it is attempting to do. I can even close everything else that I am doing but it wont solve the problem.

When end the process, the task bar switches back to old windows look and same with the visual elements, but normally only for a few seconds than its back. But after that my integrated sound card cannot be detected. This can be remedied by a reinstall and reboot, which places me back to the start of the whole problem.

I have already reformatted once because it annoyed me enough on day. That was about 3 weeks ago, and until last night that problem was gone. I thought it might have been software related but I haven't installed anything in the past couple of days. The only thing left in my mind as to what it could be is Registry mechanic. I did a scan last night before said problem I believe and fixed all errors. I also "optimized my system" with it. As a start I'm gonna undo the optimization and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for any and all help. It's greatly appreciated.

Advertisements