Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proxy Server

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work...

A lady, Edit: i don't think we need to know here real name so we'll call her "Jane Doe", is having trouble accessing the Internet. She has an account on our Proxy server that grants her access. The user account is "JDoe". When she tries to open IE, however, it prompts for a user name and password. Even stranger, is that the user name field deaults to our domain name followed by her full name like this: "Domain\JaneDoe". Her account should be JDoe instead of JaneDoe. When I shorten the name to JDoe and use her current network password, the Internet comes up fine.

I'm wondering where IE is getting this user name from? Under the connections tab of IE, everything seems to be OK. I can't find anything wrong with her account on the server side either.

Any ideas?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Edited by dsenette, 26 April 2007 - 02:50 PM.
personal info in post

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Well, thanks for the edit, but that wasn't her real name in the post. The name I used was actually a guys name I went to high school with many years ago.

I continued to research this issue yesterday, talking to other people in my department. We weren't able to come up with anything.

Still hoping someone out there will come along with an answer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't have a fix for you but.....i've seen in certain login pages (my OWA access for example) where if you type in the wrong username or password in the login info...then it will pop back up with a window with the actual domain user info in the drop down menu....exactly the way you're seeing it...my OWA requires the login to be domain/username instead of the standard domain login of domain\username .... so the login page will default to showing domain\username if you click on the drop down menu there...I THINK but have not had the need to test...that this might be related to saved passwords in IE....you could try making sure that autocomplete and saved passwords are off and see if the problem persists?

just edited to be safe...i'm the head of the CYA department

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
dsnette:

I understand your reason for editing my post and am not upset at all. CYA though? What is that?

OK, back to the actual post though, I'll check that PC today and see if there are any stored passwords in IE. You may be on to something because we did change users' passwords yesterday.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks,

Magus

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

understand your reason for editing my post and am not upset at all. CYA though? What is that?

Cover Your A....well..you should know the rest

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
dsnette:

When I went back to this user, she had already fixed the problem (though I'm afraid her fix is merely temporary and I still never figured out where IE was getting that user name from which will drive me crazy now). She changed her name in the user field to her user account name, keyed in her password, and checked the box to remember this password. Alas, I don't think there will be any more testing on this issue until the next 90 days when we reset the passwords again.

I appreciate your help though. If something does turn up this way, I'll be sure to post it so you all will know.

CYA, huh? Ah...I like that. And yes, I'm also a memeber.

Thanks,

Magus