Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adult sites

• Please log in to reply

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
This is a little embarassing. But when I'm on an adult site (only classy ones), I see all these ads showing me gals I could meet in my hometown. How do they know where I live? My 1st party cookies are set on "prompt, and 3rd party are "blocked". I run TM PcCillin spyware and virus software and ad-aware. PC works great.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm afraid your IP is giving up it's secrets.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well that's great. my firewalls (tm &ms) are on. i shut a site down immediatedy if pccillin warns. so what do i do?

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
another one: how does an IP address tell someone where I live?

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Try using only one firewall, because having 2 firewalls running at the same time will cause both firewalls to not function properly.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Already done that. FYI, MS knowledge base says that your statement is a misnomer, and that it is inacurrate. I also read that on The Elder Geek. Bottom line it doesn't solve the problem.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
guess how do you go from knowing an ip address to where one lives?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

This is a little embarassing. But when I'm on an adult site (only classy ones), I see all these ads showing me gals I could meet in my hometown. How do they know where I live? My 1st party cookies are set on "prompt, and 3rd party are "blocked". I run TM PcCillin spyware and virus software and ad-aware. PC works great.

Your IP address is reported to the site which may then be able to tell which state you're in and serve up an appropriate advert. But to go down to physical street level and what not, an order in a court of law would be required, which is usually restricted to the appropriate authorities (such as police, anti-terrorism and emergency services) as and when.
More likely though, the ads are generic - using terms like "in your town" work anywhere. If I told you there would be "hot" girls in McDonalds, you'd immediately assume the one nearest to you, since, McDonalds can be found on virtually every continent on the planet hundreds or thousands of times over.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
No not correct. I live in a small suburb of a secondary city. When they hit, they specifically mention my suburb.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Here are some ip hiding programs that have been reviewed on c-net
reviews

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
It really doesn't matter what you do unless you use a Proxy, IP Concealing program(as keithr128 suggested), ir using some sort of Script blocking software. That really isn't much to worry about. The webmasters and mods of this forum can get your IP and find out a relative location as to where you live in a matter of seconds. It doesn't necessarily mean you are vulnerable to being hacked.