Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not start up.

• Please log in to reply

Kosti

Kosti

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Last night I shut down windows as per usual...this morning when I turned my laptop back on the usual toshiba screen came up, and then when the screen switches over to the windows screen a black screen came up and said something along the lines of "windows cannot start up because the following filing is missing or corrupt....windows/system32/config/system" Can anyone please tell me what is going on? I can't get past this...I've tried rebooting in safe mode and the same message comes up on the black screen.

Advertisements

zirvo

zirvo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
have you backed up your files? it sounds like that you may need to reinstall or have somebody to access your HD and have it back up or have em fill it with that missing file.

have you tried going on DOS mode and try access files from there?

Kosti

Kosti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well I actually just started windows using the windows CD I was given when I purchased my laptop...it started fine so I backed up everything I wanted onto a DVD....then I rebooted the computer and didn't get that black screen and message any more. Not sure why it worked like that, but everything is up and running just fine...so as far as I know, everything is OK...but who knows? Should I just leave it as is or should I do something to help this problem?

Thanks for your help

zirvo

zirvo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
sounds like everything is all good now just keep on up to date, defrag, clean and scan for viruses once and a while.

Edited by zirvo, 27 April 2007 - 10:31 AM.