Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dont know if this is the correct category to ask BUT!

• Please log in to reply

kiwimiss

kiwimiss

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have no idea how it has happened, as a newbie website owner for 6 months or more, applying text, content etc to my web pages created for their specific purpse then tonight! OUCH!!! I see all these links! How can this be, my cpanel has user name and password so no one knows it but me...

HELP Please!! I have removed the index.htm from public_html and also renamed public_html ...I may need to delete ALL my 100 plus files/web pages next!!

Can someone tell me it is not necessary to delete all my files/webpages!!

I will contact my webhost tomorrow but until then...ANY help to overcome my distress, and stress will be so great!

Alberts words do not comfort me!!!! :whistling:

Edited by kiwimiss, 27 April 2007 - 02:35 AM.

Advertisements

kiwimiss

kiwimiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have no idea how it has happened, as a newbie website owner for 6 months or more, applying text, content etc to my web pages created for their specific purpse then tonight! OUCH!!! I see all these links! How can this be, my cpanel has user name and password so no one knows it but me...

HELP Please!! I have removed the index.htm from public_html and also renamed public_html ...I may need to delete ALL my 100 plus files/web pages next!!

Can someone tell me it is not necessary to delete all my files/webpages!!

I will contact my webhost tomorrow but until then...ANY help to overcome my distress, and stress will be so great!

I sense even Alberts words do not comfort me........

Edited by kiwimiss, 27 April 2007 - 02:32 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You are seriously going to have to give us more information than this.

Link to your website?

What script are you using? Have you been keeping it updated?

What on earth gave you the idea to rename public_html?

kiwimiss

kiwimiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry! Cause n effect of desperation, paranoia (sabotage of my site) included a mental state of Insanity, that overtook me. A new day has made me see more clearly and to be more specific.
Please, excuse my prior condition :whistling: and this long recall of what happened.

I was using some1 else computer to surf on line. Went to my site and noticed the head area of the webpages had certain words underlined, which when I clicked onto, led me to a site I do not know. Was a directory type site - Rx something.

I then click the source view of my webpages and there was code applied that I never entered and had no idea what it meant. I then decided to login to my cpanel, the folders and files had certain words underlined. As previously mentioned, these were links, led me to a site. Depending on the word I clicked on, all sites were different. What I noticed, when being directed to sites was the the Rx lettering. Sorry, cannot remember the rest of details after the Rx...

Due to all these factors and mental anguish, I realise reading your remark, very stupid of me, The removal of index.htm and re-name Public_html. Please, I do not know what made me go in that direction, my mental state was, 'Some1 has accessed my cpanel and sabotaged my site by using my words on my site as an unauthorised linking mechanism to their site....I have to remove access to some files and folders!.'

I now have backtracked and renamed folder back to Public_html and renamed 1 file back to index.htm.
Unfortunately its apparent my lack of sanity yesterday, has now caused further problems then I imagined.

I am replying to you from my own computer. I have now been informed that the computer I was using, when accessing site etc, had an invasive toolbar RX.., that the owner did not even know she had installed, and that toolbar also included adware/spyware and maybe a few other nasties.

Ok! Where do I and my site stand today. 404 error! Why I mentioned .... further problems then I imagined. Situation; index.htm is now back in Public_html folder. Public_html folder was moved from its original place in directory of my cpanel.

Question; How do I move Public_html back to where it was situated originally.

Thank you! ScHwErV, for your reply :blink:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The web is case sensitive.

kiwimiss

kiwimiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: Have now done! Thank you! for your patience with my issues and your response. My site is available for all to view globally :blink:

I now am aware that there are invasive programs, that can affect individuals computers to such a point, as with the scenerio that happened to my site. This has also made me aware that my site enables computers that are infected to link from my site to others without my knowledge. I have contacted my webhost and am going thru a security process with them. I'm hoping that what I soon will have in place can eliminate this issue.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I was using some1 else computer to surf on line. Went to my site and noticed the head area of the webpages had certain words underlined, which when I clicked onto, led me to a site I do not know. Was a directory type site - Rx something

Sounds like your friend may have some problems with Malicious Software (Malware) software like this can change things around, sometimes without user(s) knowing about it - if you suspect that your friend is infected, it would be a great idea for him/her to join G2G and then look at our Malware Removal Forum for help on getting cleaned up, as well as tips to stay clean once he/she is clean. I believe that it is possible to have an infected computer possibly dork around with your code, so it is important to keep your computer free of this garbage, as well as to make sure any computers you access are clear as well.

Good Luck!!

Brian

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Depending on how the server is configured, some sites will default to an index of directories if there is no index.html page in the root directory. This may be what you are seeing. In such a case make sure every directory has at least a dummy index.html in it.