Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL 2400 OS Problem

• Please log in to reply

sbrower

sbrower

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was in the process of running an online update from Dell using a Dell wizard for XP when it quit about 3/4 way through. It simply said could not complete update. I go to restart my computer and receive an error message which reads " Stop: C0000135 {Unable to locate components} This application has failed to start because WINSRV was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I power down and powerup and get the same message on blue screen. I phoned Dell Tech Support last night and was instructed that I would have to relaod the Operating system and potentially loose my data. I inserted the reinstall Operating system disk, powered down and was told to power up and continue pressing the enter key. This brings me to the CD install screen and it looks like it reinstalling but then takes me to a screen with three choices. 1) press enter to continue installation; 2) press "R" to recovery from problem; 3) Press F3 to exit

At first I tried the "R" but nothing happened, I then tried "Enter" again nothing happened. It's as if the keyboard is frozen. I attempted this process three times and still get the same result.

Help!Help!Help!

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Sbrower
Welcome To Geeks To Go Have a look at this Article and see what you think and Remember before trying anything like this Back up your Files and make sure you have a Restore point for today or set one let me know how you get on. Good Luck

Link To Microsoft Article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink: