Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Video Server Question

• Please log in to reply

Technical_1

Technical_1

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Well, I'm officially mad now. :blink:

I've got somebody climbing over my fence at my shop and tearing my mailbox down. I would R-E-A-L-L-Y love to catch them at it. :whistling: It had been along my drive outside the fence. After they tore it down three times out there, I moved it inside my 10ft. high chain-link fence. Now they've gone and climbed over that to get to it. Problem is that it is sporadic but has happened 5 times in the last 2 months. Unfortunately I can't stay up there everynight waiting for the little crumb-muncher to come by so I can jump out and get'em. I can only imagine my shop truck and shop windows are next. I've got a pretty elaborate security system for the building but nothing outside. This is where ya'll come in.

I am going to try setting up a camera (this one as a matter of fact) and I want to be able to watch the feed from the house (since I'm on here, or somewhere, working logs all night it seems). I want to watch it on one of my home machines. I called the place that has the camera and talked to a guy that said a Video Network Adapter was the best way to go and I would just have to get an IP address and I could watch it from anywhere online. That part sounds OK, but he wants me to buy this 4 channel Adapter and I'm thinking that it's a bit too high.

I found this one on Ebay but I really kinda get lost in the whole hardware/driver thing (I should probably go through TechU too).

The camera outputs composite video on a 75ohm coaxial wire with a BNC connector. I don't have a problem converting that to the RCA jacks or even a screw on coaxial fitting. My main concern is what kind of Video Network Adapter will work and if I can record this same video on a machine at the shop as well.

Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? Anypointers or ideas about different equipnet that will work better. Maybe a Video Capture Card?

Advertisements