Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with media player, help!

• Please log in to reply

Fab26

Fab26

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, can you tell me how to repair this problem????
Everytime I try to play a video from the internet, like movie trailers, news, radio stations etc... It never lets me, sometimes it just says connecting, but nothing happens, sometimes it says file not supported and so on...
But I used to do all that stuff before and now nothing happens!!!
Please help!!!

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Fab26
Welcome To Geeks To Go what version of Windows Media Player is this and have you Downloaded it Recently you could try this open Media Player press SYNC go to the drop down Menu click on more Options click file types and check that the Boxes are checked this will tell you what type of Files it Plays and let me know how you get on. Good Luck

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Fab26

Fab26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey thanks for helping me... So I checked all the boxes, still the same way, by the way how do i find out what version i have?
Thank you

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Fab26
Please try this turn off your Firewall while Not connected to the Internet as your Firewall can also interfere with this connecting and see how that goes. Another Option would be to Download the New version i put the link below but if you take the second Option it should roll back to the previous version and post back and tell me how you get on. Good Luck

Link for Media Player 11
http://www.microsoft...11/default.aspx

Edited by cheyenne 09, 29 April 2007 - 02:13 AM.

Fab26

Fab26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey Cheyenne, i think there's gotta be something else going on with my pc, i tried to run wmp 11, but when i did it, there was a blue screen saying: Windows had to shut down to protect your computer, if this is the first time you see this screen, try... blah, blah...
What do you think it is? I think my pc is infected.
Let me know what you think.
Thank you

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Fab26
You need to get as Much Information from the screen as Possible as this is a BSOD error. The other thing you could try is Downloading this Player and see if you get the Same Problem i have put the Link below and also if you think you Might have Malware then Please start Here. Good Luck

Try this Player instead of Windows Media Player 11
Link to VLCPLAYER
http://www.download-....com/vlcplayer/

Malware Instruction's Message

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.
Where you can get Help to clean up your Computer Problems and after that Return here to this Thread where you will be Helped to sort any other Issues you May still have with your Computer. Thank You

Link To Malware Forum
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Fab26

Fab26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey there, tried downloading the player you asked me to, it says free, but there's a charge in the end... not sure why.
Don't know what to do anymore,
Do you think the fact that I can't watch news, videos, trailers online has anything to do with WMP? I had a felling it had to do with java and activex control... don't know what happened, I used to be able to do all that before...
Let me know what you think...
Thanx