Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Basic"Computer won't start up"

• Please log in to reply

Empion

Empion

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Since my computer doesn't start, this is as much as I know about my computer:
512 RAM
2.79GHz
XP Basic

My computer seem to have a lot of problems lately, so I decided to recover everything since I seem to have a new computer. The recovery part went fine, but my computer won't start up after recovery. I tried every start up option on the list, "safe mode", "normal mode". It load until the part where the XP logo appear, then it restart all over again. This keep happening, it never seem to start up. What should I do? What's up with my computer.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
When Safe Mode is Selected, You can see many drivers loading, does it hang at a specific driver? What You're Getting is probably a BSOD but can't see it due to the system automatically rebooting. You can also select "do not reboot if error ocurres"(Or something similar, my XP isn't english.) at the boot menu and boot normally. You'll see a BSOD. Write down the STOP code (0xsomething) and the sub-codes (0xsomething1, 0xsomething2, 0xsomething3, etc) and any messages like "Unmountable Boot Volume".

-OCM770-

Empion

Empion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It doesn't show any drive. there is no error. The computer just won't start up. I'll try again to look for error.

I tried to look for the error, but I can't find it.

When I start my computer up. It says
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

It says it can not locate this fiel and I should reinstall it. I can't even start my computer up, how cna reinstall anything.

Edited by Empion, 30 April 2007 - 05:03 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Is this a proprietary computer such as a Dell, HP/Compaq or etc. that has a Recovery CD or a home built computer with regular XP CD?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
First of all, i need to know if this is a dual-boot configured system. If it is then option one will probably solve this issue

If it's proprietary then it won't have a WinXP CD.

OPTION 1) but if it does the boot from the CD and hit "r" to enter the recovery console. Choose your OS then type the following:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

once done type "exit".(No quotes) Reboot and remove the CD.

Did that help? if not....

OPTION 2) Boot to XP CD and enter recovery console. select your OS. once in recovery console type:

expand X:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll.
were X is your CD drive. Note the space between hal.dl_ and C:\windows\

once done type "exit".(No quotes) Reboot and remove the CD

Did that help? if not...

OPTION 3)In case of it being proprietary... then is the HDD PATA(old) or SATA(new), do you have another desktop machine with the correct connector (SATA/PATA) if not, would you be willing to buy a HDD to USB enclosure?

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 01 May 2007 - 12:12 PM.