Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troublesome Persistent Error Messages

• Please log in to reply

Rolen212

Rolen212

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First off let me start by saying I have ran ZoneAlarm Pro, AVG, Adaware, Spybot S&D, even Registry Mechanic. The problem I'm having, which doesn't appear to be malware caused, is that everytime anyone signs in they are greeted with the familiar message Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. So you close it and it restarts explorer, no big deal, however, this proceeds to happen with nearly every program we try to open. (The other error message we freqently get is Application error, so and so location at same location 'cannot be "written". Click here to terminate program.') I did a search and didn't come up with anyone with similar problems, but then again its 3 am here, haha. Hoping someone can help! LMK if you need a Hijack This log or more information.

Tom

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
You could check your event view for more information...at the very least, you may have more to go on when doing online searches for possible fixes.

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Double Click Administrative Tools icon.
Double Click Event Viewer icon.
On the left, select the source of the events...in your case, application would be appropriate.
On the right pane, you'll see a list of events (good and bad) that were created by applications.
Anything marked red is bad. Double click on any event to get more detailed information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Magus

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
You may have removed something important with Registry Mechanic. Did you allow it to create a backup before "fixing" the so called errors it found.Registry Cleaners can mess up your system.

Rolen212

Rolen212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The error messages had been happening on their computer before I got back from college and started using registry mechanic.

As for the event viewer suggestion I tried and got in (amid more error messages) and I sent the errors to microsoft but I'm not sure if it gave me anything to help my searches.

Tom

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When did you start having this problem? Was it after some hardware or software installation?

Zone Alarm can cause this problem with Logitec web cameras. Try to disable Zone Alarm and see if it makes any difference.

Rolen212

Rolen212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I wasn't home for the start of the issue (im a college kid home for the summer trying to fix up the folk's pc) but I imagine it could definitely be the situation you mentioned. I will try to disable ZoneAlarm temporarily (as they happen to have a logitech webcam) but have you found a permanent fix to this problem?

Tom

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Read this.