Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.R.I.S OCR registration wizard

• Please log in to reply

guro

guro

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have just done a wipe and reinstall on my Dell laptop (with whatever Dell supplied originally), and I have this registration wizard showing in the start menu.

I can not see that I have any programs called I.R.I.S. or OCR anything like that installed, or at least I can not find them in the add / remove programs. I don't want the program and I don't want to register it but I'm not sure how to get rid of it either, should I be concerned?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OCR and IRIS are text recognition technologies. Instead of you typing in a big long document, you feed it into your scanner, fire it up and it types up the document for you automatically under this technology. You may have to proofread it but the bulk of the work will be done.

guro

guro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for clarifying.

I have another question, do you know if it is normal that these come pre-installed? I am not sure of the content of the Dell 'pre-installed package', and since I couldn't find them in the add / remove programs I got confused. (I am easily confused :whistling: )

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
IF you used Dell recovery media the chances are the software was preinstalled in the first place. Different manufacturers preinstall different things from system to system depending on the marketing angle. In years gone by some manufacturers supplied copious programs, games and other stuff, however the recent trend is a copy of Windows, a copy of Works and a copy of McAfee/Norton and Nero, all of which are if you're lucky. Far cry from the days when you got an entire software library with a new computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
I.R.I.S. also shipps with HP all in one printers...have you installed such a printer on this machine since the reformat?

guro

guro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I used Dell recovery media AND just installed the HP printer, must have missed it somewhere along the installation.. voila. Thank you! Appreciate your feedback.

JonyGreen

JonyGreen

• Pip
  • 2 posts