Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP! GREAT TROUBLE!

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello James,

Yes you were quite clear, and yes i did build the computer myself. The only thing that i'm worried about is that i DID overlcock, and it HAS passed 30 days sinse i bought all the parts, so will Tiger Direct still exchange it?

By the way, do think it is the mobo, or do you think it is the CPU that is the problem? I asked you from my last post, and maybe if you have some time could you please tell me what percentage can it be that it is the mobo, and what percentage it is that it is the cpu, just so i know how much i need to buy the part for... because right now, me and my dad don't know so it's, %50/%50 :whistling:

Alright, my friend is coming over tonight, with his computer, and we'll test it out, hopefull everything will be just fine :blink:

I'll be waiting for your reply :help:

Pers

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It could be anything, there is no percentage that I could put on it. Even though you overclocked it, try to RMA the fried part, the worst they can say is no.
James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello! :whistling:

I know i might be a little bit off-topic, but what's up with the R600?? It's May 14th isn't it? I thought it was coming out on this date.. How come i don't see it at the online TigerDirect store? Are there any links to benchmarks and things like that? Does it beat the 8800GTX??

tnx :blink:

pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Search "2900" then you'll find it. For some reason it's not listed on the graphics page.

It's a bit of a disappointment right now, but I think things will change as drivers come out. Though I don't see huge gains.
James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Why aren't they in stores yet? and what is the dissapointment? are they bad? Do they beat the 8800GTX??

I'll be waiting for your answer

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=1826
It is in stores, you just need to look a little harder.
The HD2900XT was designed to compete against the 8800GTS which it does ok, I expect this to improve as new drivers come out. But right now I think the 8800GTS is the better mid range card.
They are highly overclockable cards that will reach just 8800GTX performance, right now the HD2900XT beats the GTX in 2 games at stock. Also A limiting factor right now is heat, it can go up to 95oC, once the get it from 80nm to 65nm is should resolve some of these issues but we'll have to wait to see.
James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
So, you're saying that the ATi 2900XT underperforms for everyone's expectations? And that it isn't better than the 8800 GTS, GTX ?

What 2 games does it beat the 8800 GTX at ?

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'd have to look again when I get home but I'm pretty sure that it beats everything at company of heros and another game. The HD2900XT was built to be a GTS competitor not a GTX competitor, as drivers come out I think performance will come up 20% or more like it did in the 8800 series, but only time will tell. It's really neat how it performs, one of it's number one things is HD decoding where it takes all the work load, or most of it anyways off of the CPU.

If you plan on overclocking this card, it'll go a long ways and is then a GTX competitor. The problem is that it's currently 80nm and will have a revision in the fall to reduce it to 65nm which will cause it to require less power and be cooler. Right now the card reaches 90oC under load (93oC under load with a 23% overclock) so the cooler runs very loud, that issue is going to be addressed soon as well. So in short, if you must build right now and have a monitor resolution under 1680x1050, get the 8800GTS 320mb version otherwise its up to you. The ATI card is about 80$ more then the 8800GTS 640mb, but will it pay of in 2 month to get this card? no one really knows.

I'm planning on building mid June and I'd stuck on this question as well, but new drivers should be out by then making my answer clearer, but Company of heros is on of the main games I plan on playing, so it might be worth it to me, but not to the next person.

James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
lol c'mon james, 9 more posts and you'll be member 2k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistling: :help: :help: :blink:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There's no rush, whenever I get there I'll get there. :whistling:
James

Advertisements