Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell c521

• Please log in to reply

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
HI i just got a dell dimension DIMc251 computer. When i first opened it and saw it was soo small i was delighted (got it from dell business cuz it waas cheap!!)
AMD Athalon 64 x2 dual core 5000+ 1 gb ram (512x2) I dont know the mobo. BUt the case does not allow me to freakin install a tv tuner because of the fact that the case is tooo small to let the tv tuner fit!!!!.
My question is what can i do????
DO i buy a new case??

I also want to make this computer get ready for vista+ some light gaming. How much would it cost to upgrade it? Tell me seperate cost to change the casing or whatever to fit the tv tuner and a seperate ammount to upgrade it and make it light gaming ready as in command and conquer 3 (does not need to be the highest graphics possible or sumthign)

Also I only have one dam pci slot so is changing the Mother board and option?? I heard that some mother boards come with built in vga cards(powerful ones not just the 32/64 mb) that would be great. I can increase the pci slots and get vga card built in and i dont care for looks so the cheapest possible case possible does not hurt as long as it works i.e. power button does not snag or sumthin.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Dude I think if you open the case you void you warranty but whatever I don't think you'll ever need it cause well you got us. HERE is a good mobo in canadian pricing and HERE is the exact same mobo in american pricing. I'm not sure what ram you have so I don't know if their compatible.

HERE'S a descent case.

Please tell me what type of ram you have before buying that mobo.

Thanks

Soorena

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Also you may want to measure the size of the mobo before buying a new case. Many pre-built computers don't use the standard ATX. Swapping MOBOs could cause problems with Windows. Even more of a problem if you don't have a Windows disc.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm thinking you have a microATX board.
That computer is already, ready for vista. If you do make these upgrades you may be forced to buying an operating system because of the change in motherboard. Be warned though, I don't believe there is much if any support if you are planning on recording TV shows, using it as a PVR. Vista is full of DRM prevent copy infringement.
James