Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezes while loading

• Please log in to reply

holly96

holly96

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop uses Windows XP Home Edition, SP2. When I start the computer, it powers up fine, but then on the screen where windows is loading, the little blue bar that scrolls from left to right goes for a while and then just stops. When I restart, I am able to start in Safe Mode. I have no devices connected. I have tried the following, none have worked:

-Last known good configuration
-System restore
-Using a set-up disc to perform an in-place upgrade to try to repair the installation

I don't know what else to try. Since it starts fine in Safe Mode, it seems like I should be able to identify the problem, but I don't really have any idea how.

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Safe mode may allow you 2 different tools that could fix your issue (they also may not help no promise here).

1). start run type "chkdsk /f" " hit enter (no quotes of course).
You will get this error message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
say "y" and re-start.

This will take time so plan on it running for a WHILE. This utility will find and fix hard drive errors.

2). sfc /scannow you will need your XP CD. Once again this starts by start run "sfc /scannow"

These 2 tools will fix a wide array of issues. Yours could be one they will fix.