Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rename documents and setting folders

• Please log in to reply

Besocelestial

Besocelestial

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings...

I received my PC as a christmas gift and so my cousin who built it named it "Christmas Gift". I have a user account with my name which I use to log in but I would really love to change my document folder name from Christmas Gift to my name. I have searched and found one possible solution here :http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151816&hl=rename+documents+setting+folders
but I was unable to copy the Christmas Gift account

I am running Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 2

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christina

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, Besocelestial. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Here's another way to copy the settings from the original account to your new account.

1. Ensure you've added a new user account and that you've logged in using that folder at least once - this will create the folder under Documents and Settings
2. Reboot the computer.
3. Sign in a an account that is neither the old or the new account. This prevents "file in use" errors while copying.
4. Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
5. Select everything in that folder except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini. (These may be hidden files, so if you don't see them, open My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check "Show Hidden Files/Folders")
6. Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount
7. Reboot the computer and log in with your New user account.
8. Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user, you can delete the old profile.

Besocelestial

Besocelestial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello LindaGail and thank you for your help. I followed your directions and it worked for me.

Much appreciation!!!!

Christina

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know :whistling: