Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Bears1

Bears1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I am trying to repair XP because my laptop will not start up. I inserted the XP disc and I am following the steps to repair XP.

I came to this screen and I don't know what to do:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and the unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER

To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C

To delete the selected partition, press D.

76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 76317 MB < 76317 MB free >

What should I do???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bears1...

To continue the repair installation, select C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 76317 MB < 76317 MB free > and press "Enter".

wannabe1

Bears1

Bears1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I pressed enter. Now it is telling me

The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition.
I have the choice of:
Format the partition using the NTFS file system <Quick>
Format the partition using the NTFS file system

Which one should I pick?

I guess I have no choice but to reformat? I guess I will lose any data on the harddrive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like a corrupt file system. That's harsh...and there isn't a whole lot you can do except format and reinstall.

In some cases, you can install the damaged drive in another machine as a slave and pull your data...AND there are a few programs that may be able to recover the data, but at a cost.

Unless you have irreplaceable data, I would format (not quick) and reinstall to the same partition.