Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing Client Hard drives?

• Please log in to reply

vettegofast

vettegofast

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey guys,

I have a windows server 2003 with about 40 or 50 client PC's. How can I get their hard drives to be shared automatically when they login to the Network? I think there is some activity going on and I want to be able to check on this.

Thanks,

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's no way to share their drives AUTOMATICALLY when they log on...you'd have to go to each PC and manually share their drives to gain access to them

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I thought for sure there was a way. Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
my answer to you was questioned slightly so i wanna verify that i read your question correctly

you want a method to automatically SHARE a drive on a remote PC (client computer) so that you can connect to that drive from the server (or your computer) and do "investigation" on the contents of the client drive correct?

you were NOT asking if you could have a method to automatically connect your client computers to a drive on your server that's already shared correct?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good thing bobmad questioned me on my answer haha....there is a command that i had never seen

net share

do net share /? in a cmd window to get the full syntax but the basics would be

net share <share name>=<path to shared location>

so to share a folder c:\things\sharedthings as things i would type

net share things=c:\things\sharedthings

that would share that folder...i don't see ANYTHING about setting the permissions on said shared folder...but the everyone group get's full control by default if memory serves correct

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thats exactly what i want to do. See if they are using peer to peer, etc,....I will check it out. Thanks!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
like if they're using limewire or something of that nature?

you might run ethereal (google it) on your network and monitor the traffic going out to the internet...you'll be able to see any traffic heading to P2P locations

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have done that before. I think it would just be easier to look at the HD remotely. Thanks again for the help

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey guys,

I noticed that in windows XP pro, the drives are shared by default. However, it says its C$, instead of C:\. WHen I unshare it, it states >"This share was created for administrative purposes only. The share will re-appear
>once the Server services are stopped or the computer is rebooted. Are you sure you
>want to stop sharing C$?"

WHat does this mean?

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah....i forgot about the administrative share! on a network the C:\ drive is already technically shared...

open up explorer (windows explorer not internet explorer) and type \\<computername>\c$ (where <computername> is the name of a remote computer that you want to connect to) it should open up their C:\ drive...it will probably ask you for an administrator password

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I do have all administrative passwords. I will check that out. Thanks!

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ANother Q!! Where is the users history file located on their HD? Can I view it from my PC?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
temporary internet files C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

however...i don't think that's gonna give you the info you want...i'm not sure how you would go about checking the history of P2P programs such as limewire etc...but one would assume you'd go to c:\program files\limewire (or whatever) and look for a log file....

if in your organization...P2P stuff is STRICTLY disallowed...then the existance of the limewire folder should be enough evidence

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I think i got it. I downloaded a freeware history file viewer. I can view the history file in the local settings of my pc, or view another persons by inputting the network path to their history.

IE: \\10.1.1.100\c$\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\History

I agree with looking for limewire, kazza, etc.....folders.

Edited by vettegofast, 03 May 2007 - 09:34 AM.