Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DRIVE PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

MCS

MCS

• Pip
  • 3 posts
RUNNING
WIN 98SE
ATHLON 133 CPU
COMPUTER WORKING FINE ONE DAY. I HAD ATA 133 PCI 30GB BOOTING WELL. IF I ADDED IDE H/D IT WOULD SHOW UP AS AN EXTRA DRIVE, NO PROBLEM.
THEN THE IDE STOPPED SHOWING UP. WHEN I SWITCHED OFF, TO CHECK CABLES ETC THE ATA 133 STOPPED SHOWING UP?

I TRIED RESEATING CABLES, CHANGING CABLES, RESETTING BIOS SETTINGS. THE VIDEO CARD APPEARS TO BE WORKING IN PCI SLOT.

JUST NO SIGN OF ANY DRIVES

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try clearing your BIOS/CMOS.

Disconnect the power, remove the computer case, look for a battery on the motherboard (like shown below). Remove this battery for at least five minutes. Then replace the battery, and reconnect the power. Reboot and see if it worked. You'll need to reset the system time and date.

A typical motherboard battery:
Posted Image

MCS

MCS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi!

Thanks for quick response

i originally cleared cmos and tried removing battery. unfortunately with the drive to ide being seen, but it would not allow me to do anything, then it went again and i had no access to it at all.

i tried a new adapter card with ata 133 and a new cable and still no luck.

does anyone think it may be time for a new m/b?

regards MCS

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Or, your hard drive could have died. Do you have another hard drive to try, or another system to check your hard drive with?

If your IDE controller on your mobo did fail, you might be able to get by with just a new PCI IDE expansion card.

MCS

MCS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
THANKS FOR RESPONSE

I HAVE TRIED ANOTHER HARD DRIVE: (IDE AND ATA 133), TRIED ANOTHER PCI CARD WITHOUT SUCCESS.
ON MY OTHER PC I CAME ACCROSS A TROJAN DOWNLOADER, WHICH NORTON AV IS UNABLE TO DELETE.

I TRIED STINGER, ADAWARE, SPYBOT S & D WITHOUT SUCCESS, HAVE STARTED IN SAFE MODE AND RAN NORTON IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'd say it's time for a new motherboard <_<

The trojan you can't remove is probably in your system restore file. To remove disable system restore. Run a full system scan, and then enable your system restore settings (warning this will clear all system restore points).