Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Really. How.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
into the connectors on the motherboard, once you get your motherboard you'll see it. The male socket will go into the female one.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Im a total dee dee dee for lack of a better word. THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH. Now I just have to wait for the vid card to come out for the new questions. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, K. I'm anticipating that card more then anyone :whistling:
If you have any more questions just psot 'em up.
Glade I could help.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Also, the front usb ports on the case. Do they plug in the mobo also. Im assuming they do considering they need to function with the whole system. I also have a question about backups. I have Acronis True Image 10. Im getting a 120 GB backup drive now, a little cheaper and it's smaller and it's in a metal case. So if I plug in the drive and instead of using the program it comes with can I still back it up. Or I'll use their program which is the same thing just is simpler. Anyways. When I back it up and then my internal HD fails how do I use the backup to restore it.

Edited by Drumbum667, 12 May 2007 - 10:14 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You'd really have to ask someone who has used the program before. However it's probably just a drag and drop thing like what I have at home. It'll just pop up as the E: drive or F: etc. oin my computer and you'll drop them in. You answered your own question, your motherboard has 2 USB hook ups.
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 May 2007 - 02:20 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Wait if the case fans plug into the mobo and their are 6 fans will there be enough plugs for each fan. Is there a different way to power them. 2 of the fans are optional but I want to use all of them.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
All motherboards come equipped with 2 or more case fans plus the one for the CPU.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
But I need atleast 4. Ill look around maybe some website specifies how many case fan plugs there are. And now Im probably going to get the Cooler Master Stacker 830. And Im going to buy a couple extra case fans for it. Anyways the case fans Im getting use a 4 pin connector, and the PSU only comes with 4 pin IDE/FDD connectors. Does that work with fans. And I think Im going to get this PSU Enermax PSU. It has a 6+2 connector is that the same thing as 4+4 pin. And it has way more connectors for fans and SATA drives and stuff.

Edited by Drumbum667, 13 May 2007 - 10:41 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your fans don't plug into your PSU.

the 6+2 is just a 6pin cable with an adapter to create it into a 8pin cable.

But can your motherboard support that much stuff?

If your planning on spending around 400$ for a graphics card and plan on overclocking alot, then get the 2900XT. If you plan on running the cards at spec then get the 8800 640mb GTS.

James

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I am 100% positive the extra fansthat Im buying plug into the PSU with a 4-pin connector. Look at the pics, look at the specs also. Apevia Fans. Wait, so the 6+2 pin will work. Yes.

Edited by Drumbum667, 14 May 2007 - 03:36 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I really couldn't tell you because again my family computer is 5 years old and is nothing near high tech. From what I can tell though is that there has to be a plug into the motherboard otherwise how would you ever test the speed of the fan. Second those cords wouldn't be long enough to reach the PSU and thirdly you'd fill up your connectors really fast on your PSU. If I'm wrong please someone else jump in and say something, but this is what it looks like to me.

Yes the 6+2pin connector will work as a 8 pin connector. How much were you planning on spending on a graphics card. because the currently the HD 2900XT doesn't beat the 8800GTX, it's right around the 8800GTS 640mb, if you overclock it, it gets pretty close to the GTX. Once more drivers appear we may begin to see performance leaps in the HD 2900XT, but for now it's struggling.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I was either going to get the HD 2900 XTX or the 8800 GTX. Maybe the 2900 XT if the fan is good enough to overclock I'll give it a nice overclock. But if the 2900 XTX does better with the real drivers it will benchmark better than the GTX. If it's the GTX I won't get that PSU I'll get that OCZ one. Also if you think about it plugging it into the mobo would require a lot of plugs for fans so it wouldn't seem very efficent. And also on another fan that also used a 4 pin connector someone reviewe saying that if you have to use the last 4 pin connector on the PSU it had one on it so you could use the one from the fan.

Edited by Drumbum667, 14 May 2007 - 05:54 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Right now I'd suggest the GTX as it's still dominating. It wins in every game but two and the GTX wins by a far margin. However it could be an entirely different ball game in 2 months. You only need the 6 pin and 8 pin connector if you plan on overclocking, otherwise two 6 pin connectors will run it fine.

Again I have never looked into a case that would have more then 2 case fans so I really could tell you as I have never looked into it.

James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
So the GTX uses an 8pin also or just two 6 pins.