Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive is not working on Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

pernitza

pernitza

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey,

so, i just upgraded to Windows Vista, and afterwards the dvd drive worked well, but suddenly it stopped from working, or sometimes it works...
Usually when I turn off my computer and turn it on again it works, but sometimes it is not even listed on the devices manager's thing. But then I checked on the BIOS and the dvd is listed there.... So it must be a problem with Windows Vista, because something similar is happening to my built-in webcam (Acer OrbiCam).

My computer is a Acer Aspire Laptop, model 9423...so if anywone can help...i would be very glad...
thank you very much.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows Vista requires different or updated device-drivers compared to Windows XP. That, at least, would explain why the webcam doesn't work since it needs a Vista-compatible driver from the device manufacturer. Not sure about the optical drive though as Vista should install it's own Microsoft driver for that, same as XP does.

Check the Acer website. http://support.acer-...ista/index.html

Many Vista upgraders have been very disappointed with it owing to the (as yet) slow response from manufacturers in making compatible drivers available. You wouldn't be the first to return to using XP for that problem alone. I won't be using Vista until it's the only Microsoft OS available, as I have a scanner and printer together worth several hundred pounds which still have no Vista drivers available.

Edited by pip22, 03 May 2007 - 04:42 AM.