Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Crimson Enigma

Crimson Enigma

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alrighty, I guess if I wanna get to fixing the other problems on my computer, I've gotta start with this one.

I've got a NEC DVD RW ND-3540A and for the past several months, it hasn't been working quite right. It plays some DVDs but refuses to recognize any CDs whatsoever. When I put a CD in (doesn't matter the brand or type) it just makes a clicking sound and nothing happens. The same happens with select DVDs, but on most of them, the DVD will play as per normal. This began happening after I watched a Boondock Saints DVD on the computer and since then, I've ran diagnostics on it, disabled and re-enabled it, uninstalled all the drivers, updated the drivers after reinstalling, checked the region, and done about everything I can think of. I also run anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-adware scans regularly along with the occassional defrag and most recently a hijackthis. Everything I do says that my drive is running just dandy.

I've been told by one of my friends that it could have been rewritten by the DVD that started this mess (there was apparently a lot of cases of that from SONY not too long ago) and I was told I could find a codec somewhere to set it back the way it was. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything. Even when I looked at the manufacturer's site and whatnot, I've come up with zilch.

I really need my drive now more than ever because I've been also running into some Windows STOP errors, but I can't run a memtest unless I can make and boot up a CD for it.

I'm at my wits end and would really appreciate some help because I have no idea what to do anymore to get this thing working. Thankies!

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
WDC WD1600JS-00MHB0 Harddrive
NEC ND-3540A DVD RW Drive
ATI RADEON 9550 Graphics
Realtek AC'97 Audio Sound
3.00 GHz 2.00 GB of RAM

I think that's all for that...

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can read this on the Sony rootkit problem which may be causing you problems.

http://www.5starsupp...ony-rootkit.htm

Heres something on the problem.

http://updates.xcp-aurora.com/

I don't think anyone can truly get rid of the sony rootkit problem by any type of repair. I reformatted one of my computers to fix it.

SRX660

Crimson Enigma

Crimson Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Eee, thankies muchlies, SRX660.

I read the article and despite the cons of doing this rootkit removal thing, looks like I don't have much to lose. XD Hard drive might be dying anyways, so worst-case scenerio, why not have the DVD drive go with it, eh? Here goes nothing.

Crimson Enigma

Crimson Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, though that wasn't nearly as painful as I imagined, my drive's still not working right. Again, it plays DVDs, but not CDs.

Any other suggestions other than formatting my comp?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
After your admirable efforts to get it working, this is how I would proceed.

1 beg, borrow or otherwise lend a CD/DVD writer to try in place of yours,
2. Give it a full workout to see if it performs as it should.
3. If that one exhibits the same problem, it's back to some more head-scratching and posting here for more help.
4. However, If that one works okay, go out and buy yourself a new one (they don't cost a small fortune anymore do they?).

Number 4 might cost you a few dollars but I'm sure you'll agree it would be the best outcome.

Edited by pip22, 03 May 2007 - 04:23 AM.

Crimson Enigma

Crimson Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alrighty, I'll give this a shot, then. One of my friends'll let me borrow his CD writer. ^^ Thankies muchlies, pip22.