Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer parts, will they work and is this near top notch

• Please log in to reply

UnendingProblems

UnendingProblems

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So I threw this cart together after reading a hole bunch of components and stuff so yeah read it tell me what you think, and if there are any alternatives to make this cheapr/more cost effective. Thanks.

2- LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail $91.98
1- Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail $184.99
2- Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - Retail $519.98

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Those prices are bit high. You should check out some internet stores insted of a retail store. It will save you a ton. My favorite is Newegg.com. Many other people like TigerDirect.com. That same raptor drive is on newegg for $260: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136035

I don't have any personal experience with raptor drives but I am told that the performance increase is not worth the price increase.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 May 2007 - 08:42 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't buy a raptor, they arn't worth it anymore. They need to be revised, at one point they had large increases in performance but that gap is closed rather quickly with Hitachi's new 1TB (1000GB) drive coming the closest and best of all will only be about 50$ more. Remember that drive only has 150GB, while you can get a hard drive with 500GB for less not to mention a major drawback being that it's SATA150 while SATA300 has been out for some time ( this could possibly be a bottleneck on the hard drive. You should just get a regular hard drive and put the extra $$$ towards more ram or something. Even the best hard drive on the market will only take mere seconds off wait time.....if even that much.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 May 2007 - 09:44 PM.