Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problems (Strange Symptoms)

• Please log in to reply

Pokey86

Pokey86

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all i've been for the past few months i've been having problems with my sound, at first i thought it was a virus or spyware of soem sort but using this site i'm now 100% clean. So it hasn't worked, i've then turned to hardware, & bought a cheap (£15) Sound Card & driver to see if i could sort it that way, sadly every time i try to instal;l the driver i get an error message say "Windows Mixer has acquired a fault & needs to close" (General Windows Error report) then the driver stays stuck on "initialising"

So, from the top when it happened & what's wrong:

It started a few months ago when i was running a routine Adware scan, (Full sys scan) i went to the shop came back & it had finished, so i cleaned all threats & i had no sound (I didn't check for any sound BEFORE cleaning threats so i'm not sure if it was the clean itself or something beforehand. I checked Device Manager & there was a "!" over the DVD, CD, Drives & all sound Drives, i checked speech & audio in control Panel & my speakers WILL NOT be registed, all that appears in the dropdown for playback (& all other options) is the Modem. My DVD & CD drives also stopped working

I seeked a short bit of online help & was told to uninstall one of the DVD drive options with the "!" near it, then reboot, then the problem should resolve itself on reboot, they did, my DVD & CD drives started working, however i still have no sound. (though there is no "!" near any of the sound options in Device Manager) & That is basically when i came here

The Symptoms:

I find it very peculiar No sound files work on my comp (WMA, MP3 etc etc) & AVI also doesn't work (Some of the AVI files i hgave on my comp DO work, which makes it stranger.) & That's basically it in a nutshell, i can't install another sound card cause this windows mixer error keeps coming up & i'm kinda stuck :whistling:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, you seem like a top bunch of blokes. :blink:

I don't know if you need one, but i've attached a HJT log anyway. & Keep in mind i have re-downloaded all divx/avi codecs (& Deleted the old ones beforehand)

Attached Files

Advertisements

Pokey86

Pokey86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello? (*Echo*)

PS: Well, if i had sound i'd hear an echo :whistling: