Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA, SATA2 or ESATA?

• Please log in to reply

supersaint

supersaint

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I'm getting ready to order the parts for a new computer for my mom to replace the POS HP she bought from Wal-mart.

Here's the issue i'm needing help with. I've got a barebones kit picked out with everything I need, the problem is that the motherboard that comes with it is IDE only, and the WD HD I want has SATA support. I've found out that you can get a PCI card that will provide SATA support, but i'm not sure which card to get. Here is the link to the Western Digital HD I have picked out.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144415

I'm not sure of the specs on the SATA cards. Anyone that could provide some insight, and maybe a link to a PCI card that would suit my purposes would be very helpful. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A PCI Sata card is a PCI Sata card. As long as it fits in a PCI slot and has at least two slots to plug SATA devices in (and the main board can boot off a PCI add-in card - most can as the server at my work can do it and its five years old) there should be no problem. You will probably need to press F6 and feed it a driver when you set XP up first though before it'll see the card.