Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop 0x00000050 error on xp shutdown

• Please log in to reply

callatech

callatech

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone,
My first post so here goes.

I have a customers computer which on shutdown of windows xp pro will come up with a BSOD. (99.9% of shutdowns).

with error code:

PAGE_FAULT-IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Stop 0x00000050 (0xff00fff8, 0x00000000, 0x80543e1d, 0x00000000)

with all the other usual writing, no file names or anything else.
Same memory address each time.

So far I have:
- Installed ALL latest windows updates,
- Installed adaware, spybot, cwshredder and run full system scans.
- Ran a online symantec virus scan.
- Ran a full system scan with AVG antivirus.
- Ran Norton System Works - Windows Tools
- Ran Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostics program.
- Replaced memory
- Ran system with memory out of a fully working PC.
- Cleaned dust out of PC
- Disabled ALL Startup items.
- Ran Disk Cleanup

The system is:
Gigabyte GA-K8VT890-9 Mainboard
2 x 200GB Seagate SATA HDD in RAID (Mirrored)
AMD Athlon 3200+ (939)
2 x 512 MB DDR Memory
GeForce 6600 PCI Express Graphic Card
Windows XP Professional SP2

any help much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Chris

Advertisements

callatech

callatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just an update of what I have found so far with this problem.
When windows xp is started, if you work on the computer without going on the internet and then shut the computer down, the BSOD doesnt come up. If you start the computer, browse the internet, shut down all your programs and then shutdown windows this BSOD mentioned above comes up.

I have installed latest network drivers, as the computer is connected to broadband via ethernet. and problem is still occuring.
have also run the windows xp winsock fix program as well, but still hasn't solved the problem.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Check the System Log in Event Viewer. This is usually hardware related. Maybe a bad NIC.

callatech

callatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have sourced the dump files from the customer, if someone would be so kind as to see if they can find a solution.
Last 4 dump files
http://users.on.net/...ni050707-01.dmp
http://users.on.net/...ni050707-02.dmp
http://users.on.net/...ni050707-03.dmp
http://users.on.net/...ni050807-01.dmp

callatech

callatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
anyone???

callatech

callatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone been able to check these dump files above???
I have just reset the page file and error stopped coming up at shutdown for about 5 reboots, but would randomly come up when using applications such as email or internet.
And has now come back to shutdown as well.
The customer is wanting some progress and I have been unable to find a solution to date.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I will be able to check the dump files when I get to a system that has windows Debugger that would be much latter tonight.
If you feel up to it you can check this site
Solving A Blue Screen with Minidumps

To run the windows Debugger yourself.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just fixed this exact same problem a few weeks back...sorry but I can't remember what I did to fix it..I have subscribed to this thread and will give you the solution when my memory comes back..

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Sorry for the wait The results are in.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

From Microsoft
Cause

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.
Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Results from your minidumps

050707-01
Probably Caused By IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlpa.exe
050707-02
050707-03
050708-01

I if you do not get the BSOD on boot every time you can launch the drive verifier to test and see what it is.

First Turn of Automatic Restart on system Failure.

To do that go to Start > Run > type in sysdm.cpl
Go to Advanced > under startup and recovery click on settings > under system Failure uncheck automatically restart.

Go to start go to run type in Verifier.exe.

Select Create Custom Settings >> press next >> Select Select individual Settings from a full list>> press next >> put a check mark next to everything besides Low resources simulation>> Press next >> Select Select driver name from a list>> press next>> Find drivers associated with the anti virus put a check mark next to them(you can do this by sorting by company name and then putting a check mark next to everything that has the Anti Virus Company Name next to them)>> click on finish >> Restart Computer

Do you get a Blue Screen error message? If you did we found the culprit. If not We will have to try something else.

Ok now that that is done If you get the Blue Screen error message you will continue to get it on restart until you clear the settings in the drive verifier.

To clear the settings Boot the computer into safe mode by turning on the computer and pressing F8.

When you get the advanced Options Menu use the up down arrow keys to Select Safe mode.

When Safe Mode comes up.

Go to start > run > type in Verifier.exe
Select Delete Existing Settings>> click Finish> confirm and restart.

Edited by tuxmaster, 19 May 2007 - 05:38 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if tuxmaster's..advice doesn't work...

when this started... the blue screens came at shutdown...not while its up and running...IE: after working /playing you do a software shutdown (click on START click on SHUTDOWN )...after windows says its saving your settings..you get the error message PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and have to press the power button on the case..(hardware shutdown)..for it to completely shutdown...upon restarting computer everything runs normally until you try to shutdown again..
This may or may not help but..
I will give you what I remember about the system I fixed awhile back that had this exact same problem...MEMTEST86 plus testing showed one of the two 512 sticks of RAM was bad...I removed it but problem still persisted..system was overclocked...was not using default memory timings...had just switched from using CAT 5 E connection to router to wireless USB connection..so I set all the timings in the bios to default..and because errors that were showing in the event viewer had to do with the NIC...I went into network connections and disabled the NIC...I can't say for sure what fixed it but the problem went away after doing those things...IE: no error message on shut down..maybe you can use this to get some idea's to try..